raster or not to raster

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
auga
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: TinyG - Homemade

raster or not to raster

Post by auga »

So when I cut a D&M model on a plaque I get markings when when using the default final tool path.

The system will start in the near center cutting a horizontal line. Then each left to right pass make in bigger until its a
large box. So when it makes the box the 1/8 BN bit makes small marks in the wood at each right angle, These are created from the
change direction when carving the box on the surface.

I looking at the raster settings which cuts completely across the model from the first cut. Which allows you to change the angle as you desire.

Can raster change this effect I am seeing?

Thanks

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: raster or not to raster

Post by FixitMike »

Using the rastor option in the toolpath will definitely change the tool mark pattern. You will have to judge for yourself whether or not the change is an improvement.
Last edited by FixitMike on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

My personal preference is to raster in the direction of the wood grain. As Mike says it's a matter of trying it and seeing if you like the results.

ryadia
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 USB CNC 4 axis Router/Engraver

Post by ryadia »

I'm not entirely familiar with Vcarve so take this advice at your own peril. :roll: I found the exact same thing happening when I used the pocket toolpath. I changed to profile and the issue was still there in a subdued way. Then I upped the spindle speed until I was getting distint chips and not dusty looking ones. For my work the problem was solved.

After using Vcarve for a few months I've discovered (in wood and perspex) that high spndle speeds make clean cuts. With perspex, high travel speed stops chip welding. I actually had my controller re-built with more powerful transformers and Gecko controller. The difference was amazing. I bought another water cooled spindle in case pushing the original one did it harm. So far I couldn't be happier.

I suppose having the luxury of being able to experiment on one machine and produce on another is something not everyone has or can afford but its brought me up to speed with VC Desktop to the point I'm discovering its limits and will probably upgrade to Professional soon.

Hope this helps,
Ryadia. :wink:

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What stepover are you using for your finishing cut ?