Overlapping models

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CrookedRiverCarver
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot

Overlapping models

Post by CrookedRiverCarver »

Hello. Relatively new to vcarve pro and the shopbot. I am having issues overlapping the models that I purchased from design an make. For instance, I try to cross the pistons from dads garage and I get the bottom piston showing through at the intersection while in the 3d window yet looks proper in the drawing window? I cut some pieces and the product looks like the 3d window version Is there a tutorial that deals with this issue? Or can someone tell me what I'm missing?

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: Overlapping models

Post by mezalick »

You'll need to set the components to merge.

Michael
Attachments
merge.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

CrookedRiverCarver

hi mike. thanks for the response. i tried merging the two models with and without grouping them together. still no luck. the drawing window looks good but the 3d window still presents a definite intersection and the intersected area presents a green area. if i had hair id pull it out..

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

Go ahead and do the rough and finish tool paths then preview. I do multiple ovals overlapping each other and I see the green I think you are talking about. The preview looks like it should. Norm

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you have one or more of the models selected then you will see the green colour as indication of where they merge/overlap under the surface of the models. If you unselect them in the 2D or 3D window (click on a blank area) then the green colour will go away.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Probably a good idea to work your way through the training Tutorials as they will explain a lot & answer a lot of your questions, they will probably generate new questions for you to ask though :lol: :lol:

The drawing view is 2D so most things are going to look OK in that with it being flat, once you switch to 3D then you see the differences with the varying heights of different models.
You should make the toolpath Preview screen one of your best friends :lol: The previews are very accurate & if it looks good in the preview then it will cut fine, if it doesn't then the problem is almost always related to something other than the vectric software :lol:

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

If you could post a toolpath preview image that would help but I think I know what you're trying to explain. When you click on one of the imported 3D images and see the green color, that's the part of the image that's below the surface of the carving after you cut it out on the CNC. It sounds like you're saying that part of the lower 3D image, or the 3D image that is in the background, is protruding above the 3D image in the foreground. I'm I on the right track?

Is this something like what you are getting in the 3D image?
anchors.jpg
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

CrookedRiverCarver

rsetina wrote:If you could post a toolpath preview image that would help but I think I know what you're trying to explain. When you click on one of the imported 3D images and see the green color, that's the part of the image that's below the surface of the carving after you cut it out on the CNC. It sounds like you're saying that part of the lower 3D image, or the 3D image that is in the background, is protruding above the 3D image in the foreground. I'm I on the right track?

Is this something like what you are getting in the 3D image?
anchors.jpg

Yes, that picture depicts exactly my conundrum. I tried cutting the piece and the intersection is just like the 3d preview. How do I remedy this?

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I haven't logged on until today. You can tilt a 3D image using the tool (wrench) icon in the modeling tools. This will raise the image up above the second image. I think you can adjust the base height of one of the images also, which will raise it above the other image too. Hope this helps.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

CrookedRiverCarver

yes! got it! very cool! thank you!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D