Edge lit

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Edge lit

Post by Samson »

Would anyone care to share their settings for edge lit designs, using a drag bit?
I've tried a couple of different settings, based from some of the posts here, and I was less than impressed.
It might have had something to do with me using Lexan. I've read, since my attempts, that it isn't the optimum material for edge lighting.

I've contacted several local places to get cast acrylic, but no one has cast, only extruded. So, I just ordered some 3/8" cast Plexiglas and I
intend to try the drag bit and rotary engraving to see which I prefer. I've seen some really nice stuff cut deep into the acrylic using 3D designs and
I might attempt that once I can figure out the engraving for edge lighting first.
I can get a 1" x 24" x 24" piece of cast acrylic for $39, and I think that would work well for some of the deep designs.

I've seen some really nice edge lit's on here and I really hope I can get close to some of those.

TIA

ryadia
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 USB CNC 4 axis Router/Engraver

Re: Edge lit

Post by ryadia »

I make edge lit signs regularly using 5mm Chinese made acrylic sheet. I think what you are experiencing is because of cutting too fast for the speed of the spindle. When I use a 90º, 12 mm (just under half inch) bit at 1200 RPM. I need to slow down the direction speed chosen for the bit by Vcarve. How much will depend on experiment. If I use a 3mm (1/8") end mill I don't change the distance speed I discover by experiment, no matter what depth I choose. This picture was a Chinese sourced sign. You might notice if you look closely that the large lettering is not smoothly cut. I can reproduce that problem by making the spindle stop before changing direction. Lettering like this should be cut with the continuous setting.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Here's my settings for extruded acrylic 0.080 8x10 inch sheets. I get them at Lowes. I use them for some LED edge lit signs for the grand kits. Transformers, Star Wars, etc. I use a diamond drag bit in my X-Carve.
Acrylic Drag.jpg

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

OK thanks. I'll figure it out.

The acrylic supplier was helpful anyway.