autodesk other software

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
zzaaddaazz
Model of CNC Machine: Can Cam B1-44M

autodesk other software

Post by zzaaddaazz »

i am looking for a good cad program that works well with VCARVE PRO to convert pictures into 3D drawings that I can cut out with my CNC. i have been playing around a bit with autodesk other software. other software seems like a good drawing program, it also has it's own cam program that i am really not interested in learning. thank you in advance all replies appreciated.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: autodesk other software

Post by ger21 »

CAD programs don't "convert" pictures into 3D models. All they let you do is load an image into the background for reference, as you create the model using the modelling tools in the CAD program.
Depending on the types of models you want to create, some CAD programs might be better than others. Fusion is more of a mechanical type program. Others are better at creating "organic" type models.
Since Fusion is free, go ahead and try it. If it doesn't work for you, try something else. Don't pay for anything until you've used a demo and know for sure that it will work for you.
And be aware that the learning curve for what you want to do may be incredibly steep, and require a lot of artistic skill.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

zzaaddaazz

Post by zzaaddaazz »

thank you ger 21. you seem to know a lot more about this than i do. I am a retired guy looking for a new hobby. gotta keep the ole brain active hahaha. I have found some 3D models that I could purchase and cut out with my cnc but I would like to design my own. do you know of any cad programs that could lead me into the right direction? IE.turn a picture into a 3D model. thank you again ger 21

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What sort of 3D models are you wanting to do? There's a big difference between 3D relief type models and full 3D models.

zzaaddaazz

Post by zzaaddaazz »

hello Adrian. what I would like to do is to take a picture {jpeg}. and put it into a program and convert the picture into a 3d model. for example I have a really nice picture of a grizzly that I took and I would like to convert it to a 3D model that I could cut out. I understand that to do this will take a lot of time and work but time is something I do have. hahaha. as for the difference between 3D relief type models and full 3D models I am not sure what I am looking for. thanks Adrian

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It does sound like you're trying to do relief type models rather than full 3D models. In that case you should try Aspire, that's what it's designed for and you already know most of the interface from VCarve.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Michael did a great tutorial back in Nov 2016 of taking a drawing to 3D. http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26185

My recommendation is download the trial version of Aspire and work through Michael's tutorial. He included the final 3D model as well as the original picture.

Just looked at the Vectric website, the trial version of Aspire is V9, Michael's tutorial was written for V8.5. The tutorial is still good, you'll just have some inconsistencies in screen shots and tool locations.
John
Maker of Chips