Vectric Craftsman

bar stool seat

Post by paul60 »

Does anyone know if its possible to make a file in vcarve
to cut a scoop out seat? this is for a 13inch round seat 1,5 thick
thanks paul

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: bar stool seat

Post by FixitMike »

Draw a line from the outside of the seat to the center. Make a radial array of the line. Then use the fluting toolpath. I get the best result using an end mill.
bar stool.PNG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

paul60
Vectric Craftsman

Post by paul60 »

Hi fixitmike thanks for the reply.
this is my first time using the fluting tool
if the stool seat is 13 inch in dia does the fluting start from the outside edge of the 13 inch?
how do i go about making a fluting tool path using the radial array
i want to use a .375 endmill thanks

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The start for each flute should be at the outside edge. You only need to draw one line and then make a circular array of that line about the center of the stool. I used 180 copies for the example I showed. More will make a smoother seat, fewer will run faster. Play with the depth of cut until you get what you want.

Select all of the lines (A right to left drag box around the center will make the selection for the fluting toolpath.

A better and more sophisticated way is to use 2 toolpaths. Select the original line only and cut it with a toolpath with a limited depth per pass (Edit the tool). Then select all of the lines and use a greater depth of pass for the tool as each cut will be removing only the what was left after the previous cut. Save both toolpaths with the Output all visible toolpaths to one file box checked. The single line cut should be first on the toolpath list.

P.S. The Help--Help Contents in the menu bar will take you to a document that will answer a lot of questions about using the various features of the program.
P.P.S. The tutorials are a great help. Many of us have two monitors set up. One to run a tutorial on, the other to run a copy of the program and to copy what the tutorial is doing.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.