Amazing Grace Engraving

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
W3LMR
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt/ 32" x 54"

Amazing Grace Engraving

Post by W3LMR »

I do an Amazing Grace engraving and am having trouble with the "Z" in Amazing not cutting deep enough. I know it is because the image was scanned. What are some of my options to make the "Z" the same depth as the other letters? Attached is the crv file. Thanks!
Attachments
Amazingfirstlineedit.crv
(843.5 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: Amazing Grace Engraving

Post by MarkJohnston »

You can edit the vectors and make the Z or any other letters wider between the outer and inner vectors of each letter so the Vcarve tool will fit better in-between them.

The vectors you posted are pretty bad.

I got a copy of an CRV file from Dan on this forum and I will email it to you if you PM me with your email address. It's to large to post on the forum.

Mark
Attachments
Amazing Grace music sheet pic smaller.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

The music notation doesn't look correct...the note pitches are ok, but where there should be half-notes, they appear to be filled in as quarter-notes.

Might not matter. Unless carved with a small v-bit or very shallow, the half-notes might chip out the blank center of those notes giving the appearance of quarter-notes anyway.

Looking more closely, I do see a few more notation errors...incomplete measures, backwards stems and note flags.

I don't think a musician made that file!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

mtylerfl wrote:The music notation doesn't look correct...the note pitches are ok, but where there should be half-notes, they appear to be filled in as quarter-notes.

Might not matter. Unless carved with a small v-bit or very shallow, the half-notes might chip out the blank center of those notes giving the appearance of quarter-notes anyway.

Looking more closely, I do see a few more notation errors...incomplete measures, backwards stems and note flags.

I don't think a musician made that file!
Sorry Michael I'm not nor have I ever been a musician. I was going to use the file as part of a larger plaque for a friend at our church that has a piano in her house.
I don't know enough to fix or carve the note pitches, I don't even know what that is. I guess I need to print out the sheet music so I can try to fix it.

Just trying to be helpful. :oops:

Mark

W3LMR
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt/ 32" x 54"

Post by W3LMR »

Thanks Mark! I will try the editing tool first.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Mark,

You are a gem and always helpful! Thank you for all you do!

I did a quick search for Amazing Grace in the key of F (as yours is - I normally play it in the key of G, but that's beside the point). I found a graphic of the sheet music that is correct musically. I wish I had the time to create the vector file for you, but do not at the moment.

I would NOT attempt to convert directly from the graphic attached. Rather, I would create it using fonts (both music and text) as well as drawn vectors. The staff lines would either be very narrow closed rectangles for v-carving OR a Profile On with a depth assigned. The chord notation can be ignored/eliminated (the chord notation are the letters that appear above each staff).

So, here is a reference of the sheet music and hope it is helpful!
Attachments
Amazing_Grace_key-of-F.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Thank you Michael for the information. Can you tell me what fonts you would use for the music and the text.

I’m working on it and would like to get it correct.

Thanks,
Mark

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

MarkJohnston wrote:Thank you Michael for the information. Can you tell me what fonts you would use for the music and the text.

I’m working on it and would like to get it correct.

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark,

I have several music fonts on my computer, but I cannot share them since they are commercial fonts that came with various music software programs I have licenses for.

However, I did a quick search at DaFont.com and found what looks like a nice (and free) one! Here is the link:

http://www.dafont.com/lassus.font

Here's another one that might be even better:

http://www.dafont.com/hymnus-fg.font

As far as the text, use whatever looks good, carves well and that you like.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

So, I got the free music fonts downloaded and they are on my list of fonts in the Text area but how do you drag them out onto your material? If it is a regular font, you just start typing and there it is. How does this work? Thanks for any help...joe

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Joe,

You install the font first (which I assume you did already). I think the Hymnus font will be the best one to install, as it allows individual notes and musical elements to be used.

The input chart can be found on the original download page. Also, the Windows Character Map shows the input info as well (although the chart is very tiny and difficult to see well).

Actual input is done using the computer alphanumeric keypad as well as the Alt+number keypad. For example, the staff symbol for 3/4 time in the first measure is entered as Alt0150 (hold the Alt key while typing 0150 with the numeric keypad). Another example, hold Alt while typing 0172 using the numeric keypad to yield the Treble Clef symbol. Alt0045 for plain staff lines, etc. Continue with adding all your elements until you have "built" the complete musical score.

You'll likely need to edit, use the Merge (for staff lines connecting to other elements) and position stuff around during the process so you can get a clean and carve-able result.
Attachments
music-font-example.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Thanks a lot Michael! I will practice this and make myself some musical plaques for gifts. I hope to see you in Las Vegas this Fall...joe

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

joeporter wrote:Thanks a lot Michael! I will practice this and make myself some musical plaques for gifts. I hope to see you in Las Vegas this Fall...joe
Excellent! I'll see you for sure - flights and hotel booked awhile ago. (I hope Mark will be there too! I don't think he has missed any of the User Groups!)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

I'm hopping to be there this year Michael. I did miss last year due to the hurricane in Florida. I'm going to have my left knee replaced on the 24th of July but I've already book my spot as long as it goes ok.

I'm working on creating the musical notes and I don't what you call the note that looks like the one over the ing in amazing but I don't see it in the
Hymnus FG fonts. A couple of the other ones are missing as well from the sheet music you posted.

This is harder than I thought.

Mark

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Mark,

I forgot you did miss Florida due to the hurricane! We'll carry you in if your knee isn't up to snuff by this year's UG!

What rectangular size area do you want the entire music to fit within? I'm thinking I could do the music for you guys, then you take care of entering the text elements yourselves. We both save time that way!

Let me know the maximum width and whether you want it laid out as three or four lines of music.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard

Post by MarkJohnston »

Michael is wall hanging is going to be about 28 1/2" by 25 3/4" if I stay with the size I have now. The song is 11" by 17" wide now and is three lines.
I can change it to four lines in needed.

Sorry to take up a lot of your time.

I'm sending you a PM message.

Mark
Attachments
Piano Amazing Grace pic.jpg