Amazing Grace Engraving

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Amazing Grace Engraving

Post by highpockets »

Hey Michael,

My SO told me last night (Thursday around 11:30pm) she needed something for an auction on Saturday, would I make her something.... Oh great!!! Sure lots of time :D :D :D

Decided to do your Amazing Grace. Been wanting to do one for a while, just seemed like the thing to do.

One thing I did notice while modifying it a bit. There are a few spots where you left out the letter "i". Not sure if that was intentional (another version of the song) or an oversight.

Anyway, thanks and the SO said to say thank you also.
2017-09-23 00.13.20.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

Wriggley
Model of CNC Machine: PLANET CNC ROUTER ENGRAVER

Post by Wriggley »

I think sometimes we don't see the wood for the trees. I just love the concept of Amazing Grace and all credit to you for sharing it. It is the concept and originality that is important, wether or not one has the right musical notations is immaterial, that is something that can be amended by the purist. But for the work displayed absolutely outstanding.

Just saying... :D

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

highpockets,
swell take on the concept.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

highpockets wrote:Hey Michael,

My SO told me last night (Thursday around 11:30pm) she needed something for an auction on Saturday, would I make her something.... Oh great!!! Sure lots of time :D :D :D

Decided to do your Amazing Grace. Been wanting to do one for a while, just seemed like the thing to do.

One thing I did notice while modifying it a bit. There are a few spots where you left out the letter "i". Not sure if that was intentional (another version of the song) or an oversight.

Anyway, thanks and the SO said to say thank you also.
2017-09-23 00.13.20.jpg
That looks fantastic, John! Love the curvy look and the finish!

I was very puzzled when you mentioned the "I's" were left out. However, I opened the VCP (crv) file and you are right! No "I's". Glad you caught it and added them back in before you carved.

The lyrics are all Single Line font Gothic 1L. (The single-line font lyrics were already done by Mark Johnston and I used them as-is.) When I recreated the music, I laid it all out in Aspire and saved it. Later, I re-saved as a crv file format so VCarve folks could use it. I didn't noticed the I's were gone!

The disappearing I's got me curious, so opened my original Aspire file (I's are all still there), then re-saved it out again as a crv format. Guess what? All the capital "I's" go missing when saved as crv from Aspire!

Upon further investigation, I now know why the "I's" go missing when saved from Aspire to crv format! Each capital "I" was grouped with two horizontal lines at the top and base of the plain Gothic 1L -style "I" which does NOT have horizontal lines! Because of this, when the file is re-saved as the crv filetype, it strips out the grouped I's because the software thinks it is an Aspire-only feature for some reason.

So - mystery solved. The capital "I's" have to be manually replaced in the crv file.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

:D :D :D Great sleuthing Michael. I'm thinking about changing out the single line font. As is you have to profile the text which means you can't project the text on to a component.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi John,

I'm thinking you should be able to project a profile toolpath onto a component, regardless. Are you running into some situation that prevents that?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

mtylerfl wrote:Hi John,

I'm thinking you should be able to project a profile toolpath onto a component, regardless. Are you running into some situation that prevents that?
Michael,

I don't see the option, what am I missing?
Image 022.png
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi John,

Click in the box beside "Show Advanced Toolpath Options"

Near the bottom of the new, expanded toolpath menu, you will see the option for "Project Toolpath Onto 3D Model". That will allow any profile to conform to the underlying shape.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

mtylerfl wrote:Hi John,

Click in the box beside "Show Advanced Toolpath Options"

Near the bottom of the new, expanded toolpath menu, you will see the option for "Project Toolpath Onto 3D Model". That will allow any profile to conform to the underlying shape.
Thank You Michael!!!

Never notice that that was unchecked on Profile Toolpath.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Worked well....
Image 15.png
John
Maker of Chips

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Post by Bonch »

Are you two going to share the new files. I would love to carve both of them and donate to the Lottie Moon Christmas Benefit we have this Christmas in my church.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Bonch wrote:Are you two going to share the new files. I would love to carve both of them and donate to the Lottie Moon Christmas Benefit we have this Christmas in my church.
Unfortunately I have Aspire and can't save to a VCP format. Sorry.

On the second page of this thread, Michael posted the VCP in zip format. The only problem is 3 missing "I"s
Image 024.png
The first plaque I made I used one of the Clipart plaques, created an outline then cut into two rails and used the distortion tool to create the curved version.

The second is again the parchment Clipart, the cross was a contribution from Mark, also on the second page of this thread. The rose is just something I liked from a Google search for something to fill the lower right corner.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Here is the revised Amazing Grace music saved in VCP 8.5 (had to load it back on my computer).
Amazing_Grace_for_VCP_Forum_Revised.zip
(909.3 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
John
Maker of Chips

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Aspire can Save As to a .crv file (VCarve format)
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

FixitMike wrote:Aspire can Save As to a .crv file (VCarve format)
Won't save the 3d models though Mike so if John has used a parchment clipart then that would not be saved with the file :lol: :lol: