Tiling Option

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
fred ruppert
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Tiling Option

Post by fred ruppert »

I'm about to do my first tiling operation, with feed through in the Y direction, moving 2 feet at a time. I need to use three different bits, how do I do this? I would expect that for each tile, I would be able to use each of the bits, then make the move, then reuse the bits again. How does the software keep track of which tile I am machining?

mike.davison
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II with rotary

Re: Tiling Option

Post by mike.davison »

Take a look at the generated G code. If you have 3 tiles you'll have T1_filename, T2_filename and T3_filename. Each file will be a separate job so will support multiple tools if your machine supports too changes. Take a look at the generated files; you'll see.

Aligning the tiles is an interesting challenge. It's up to you how to do this. If precision is needed you can specify some tile overlap and create alignment holes for dowels/etc as it makes sense. If precision is not needed you can simply measure from a point on your table. I use both as it makes sense.

There are several good tutorials available on YouTube.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have you watched the tutorial on tiling ?

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... _2DTP.html

fred ruppert
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by fred ruppert »

Found the files, thanks. Started running the first panel and ran out of time. I will look at the tutorials, thanks for the lead. I did start with a single dowel and a line scribed by the machine in the Y axis, so tomorrow we will see how the alignment does with that method.

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Fred, once you start running a tiled program it is probably best if you complete the whole job before you shut the machine down for the day. Along with alignment of the tiles themselves, the machine has to maintain it's original XYZ zero starting point until the end of the process. If you can reset to the original starting points you may be able to complete the job successfully. Good luck...joe