Graphics Processor (Card)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

I use V-carve pro (and at some point may upgrade to Aspire). I use an older Laptop without a separate graphics card/processor. Works fine with v-carve (and the trial version of Aspire).

I have gone thru the forum using obvious search terms, some on-point, but only to a point regarding graphics processor compatibility.

As I consider the replacement of the older laptop, I am keen to accommodate v-carve (and aspire). I expect the performance of the newer machine (16 or 32GB ram, PCI SDD and HDD, etc.), will far surpass the current machine (4GB RAM, integrated graphics, etc.) almost whatever I do. So, any known limitations or compromises or challenges in connection with v-carve (and aspires) with using a separate graphics card from the "gaming card" family rather than another?

Some commentators mention "gaming cards" good for 3d, but not so for 2d (with some noting that the compromise of favoring speed over accuracy may leave some CAD/CAM renderings/displays incomplete). Any observations or comments?

The most likely card for my new laptop is Nividia GeForce 1050 Ti (there are other, more powerful cards, but cost rapidly becomes a factor; particularly since I am anticipating this summer or so an update to V-carve) or thereabouts.

Any general observations regarding that card?

Thanks.

Brian
Bobtail Farm
Andover, ME

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Graphics Processor (Card)

Post by Adrian »

CPU performance is more important than GPU (graphics card) performance with the Vectric products. They don't really tax any reasonably modern graphics card in the slightest. You'll have no problems with the card you mention in 2D or 3D.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Brian...
Plus one to Adrian's comments. That said, some of us have had performance increases with upgraded video cards, especially when rendering 3D images, toolpath reviews, etc. I would recommend an "Open GL" based video card for graphics rather than one of the gaming (directx). Aspire is not the only graphics intense application I use often.

Personally I use them from the NVidia Quaddro family and have moved up into the 4gb video ram range. Note: I use dual 22" 1080 monitors
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

And I'll disagree with Gary and say that a good gaming card is more than adequate for most CAD programs, and a lot less money. My PC is now 2-1/2 years old, with a GTX 970, and has plenty of power for even high end CAD programs. I do a lot of 3D work in AutoCAD, other software, and have run Solidworks on it. All run very well.

As Adrian said, get as much CPU power as you can afford. Today, an i7 with a mid range gaming card, and 16Gigs of RAM will give you 7-10 years of use, at a pretty high performance level.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Does it have to be a laptop? You would have a much wider choice with a desktop machine & generally have a higher specification machine for the same sort of money.
You could still use your old laptop when you were out & about but have your main design machine as a desktop. That's pretty much what I do, most of my design work for CNC & large format printing is done on a desktop machine. I also have the software on an old laptop so when I go to visit customers they can see what things will look like & if I need to make minor changes while I am there I can do that :lol: :lol:

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

thank you all for your helpful suggestions and advice, allowing me to benefit from your experience.
regards,
Brian.