5 piece door files

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cncwind
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix-Meteor

5 piece door files

Post by cncwind »

I am currently planning a kitchen remodel that will be involving the creation of 24 doors and 16 drawer fronts, I am currently using a conventional router table but want to utilize my Probotix meteor with 2.2 kw spindle to automate the process.

I have viewed a few jigs and setups doing this, does anyone have a file that I can use to create one of my own?

Thanks

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: 5 piece door files

Post by ger21 »

A regular router table would probably be a lot faster.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm with ger21. Unless you want to do some 3D carving on the doors/drawer fronts there are several other more conventional shop tools designed to handle rectangular/straight edged parts more efficiently.

4D

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

If you're doing real 5-piece doors, then I'm with the prior 2 posters as well.

If you're doing a painted kitchen and are up for a different option, then you can make doors that look like 5-piece doors and finish very nicely from either refined MDF or Medex (NOT the stuff you get at the box stores). Plum Creek makes a nice MDF that's pretty solid all the way through. We make doors from 1-inch Medex day in day out for a high-end shop in NJ that puts them in $100k kitchens.

If you go that route, you can make the profiles using the moulding toolpath, which can give you nice sharp corners if you use a 1/8" ballnose. For the raised panel sections you can use much larger bits because the corners on the panels are outside corners and come out sharp with larger bits. Unfortunately I can't give you any of my profiles because they're specific to my customers, but they're not very hard to make.

Why MDF - after all it's not "real" wood? Higher-quality MDF doesn't warp, and the seams on the corners don't sag or come apart over time. Medex is water resistant (but not water-proof - you can't leave it sitting in water) and it machines very nicely with a nice, non-fuzzy finish. If you prime it well with a non-water based paint (remember, it resists water) it finishes beautifully. It's also pretty hard and surprisingly hard to break. Finally, it's a lot less expensive than hardwood.

Just a thought.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

I should also mention that you don't have to use the moulding toolpath. You can make some pretty convincing looking doors using v-bits, end mills, and other shaped cutters with profile toolpaths. V-bits are nice because they can leave an extremely sharp corner if you use the sharp inside corner option for the profile toolpath.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost