Tips to remove masking from acrylic

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
redandbon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Tips to remove masking from acrylic

Post by redandbon »

I just started making 1/4" thick acrylic lighted LED signs on my CNC, So far everything is great except the tedium of removing the masking that comes on the acrylic after the cuts are done. I know that many take the masking off before cutting, but I prefer to leave it on to minimize scratching. I currently remove the masking very carefully with an exacto knife which takes on average 30-60 minutes depending on the design. There has to be a better way of removing the masking! Any suggestions would be welcome.

Red
Murrieta, CA

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: TIPS TO REMOVE MASKING FROM ACRYLIC

Post by garylmast »

I recently did some laser engraving on some aluminum laser-it sheets which had masking. I rubbed it across with duct tape which would lift the masking. I tied a metal pick, but it was scratched the surface, so I switched to a plastic pick which work okay. I also tried my fingernails, but that got old real fast. Gary

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: TIPS TO REMOVE MASKING FROM ACRYLIC

Post by Xxray »

Heat gun works for me
Doug

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Tips to remove masking from acrylic

Post by adze_cnc »

Soak (or lave) the piece in hot water to loosen the glue?

keastab
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Solsylva vbearing 45"x72"

Post by keastab »

I just use the clear packaging tape I seal boxes up with. pull off a piece and stick to the plastic protective layer and slowly lift it up. it removes those itty bitty pieces I used to use an xactoknife on much faster.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

If the film has been exposed to hot/cold temp extremes it will be difficult to peel - Use a heat gun, problem solved.
Doug

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Yesterday I laser engraved another Aluminum "Laser-it" sheet, that had 3/8" lettering covering the whole panel. I thought the heat gun was a good idea and it saved a lot of time, but it still sucked pulling the masking out of all the enclosed letters. To do that, rubbing duct tape saved the day. Gary

PhilJohnson
Model of CNC Machine: X-carve

Post by PhilJohnson »

You should be removing the film prior to engraving/cutting at least on the top. The film will gum up the bit and I've actually had it get under the engraving bit and keep it from cutting.

I clamp, then Remove the film from areas being engraved. Then engrave.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

You should be removing the film prior to engraving/cutting at least on the top. The film will gum up the bit and I've actually had it get under the engraving bit and keep it from cutting.
The masking is to protect the areas around the engraving, to prevent smoke damage. The first time I started with this material, I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work very well. Gary

DMcDonald
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smartshop2

Post by DMcDonald »

Try using 3-M citrus or something similar. Comes in a spray can. Spray it on the paper before you peel it and let it soak for a few minutes then try peeling it off.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I always remove film before etching, just makes it harder if you do it after.
Reverse side I leave on to avoid scratches.
Doug

redandbon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Post by redandbon »

Tried several types of tape including packing tape - no go. Heat gun helped, but still had to peel it back with a toothbrush and exacto knife. I think this is the hardest part of making one of these. :roll:

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

redandbon wrote:Tried several types of tape including packing tape - no go. Heat gun helped, but still had to peel it back with a toothbrush and exacto knife. I think this is the hardest part of making one of these. :roll:
Have you tried removing the film from the top side before machining? I understand your original post says to help prevent any scratching but I can't understand how you would get any scratching while machining. The only time I leave the film on the top surface is if I am cutting solid shapes from a sheet.
For edge lit or anything else engraved then the film comes off the part of the acrylic that will be engraved once the sheet is clamped on the machine. You can leave it in place where clamps are in contact or on any part of the sheet that will be going back in a rack :lol: :lol: