Ok, still not working right, doing something wrong

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
100 Zixl
Model of CNC Machine: piranha fx

Ok, still not working right, doing something wrong

Post by 100 Zixl »

vcarve 003.JPG
Picture I made using a sharpie marker. Copied to computer using a cannon scanner. Made it on a standard sheet of paper. The wood I was cutting it on about half that size.
in order open vcarve, create new file, job set up, import bitmap for tracing, trace bitmap. At this stage I took the picture. I did run one yesterday all the way through and ran it on my cnc. 4 hours. It punched up and down each mark.
random image off the web,
vcarve 002.JPG
The only image that will just cut is one already loaded into vcarve.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Ok, still not working right, doing something wrong

Post by highpockets »

Using Trace Bitmap requires really high quality bit maps. Your pictures are showing some really low quality images.

In most cases I've found using a bit map as a guide and manually using the Create Vector tools and then using Node Edit to fine tone the vectors actually takes less time then using Trace Bitmap and then Node Editing.

It will take some practice to get proficient at using Node Edit, but it's worth the effort.
John
Maker of Chips

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Take your digital file and use Photoshop or Corel and crank the contrast way up so you have white paper with super black Sharpie lines.
Then auto trace. It will put a vector on both sides of your lines which can then be V-carved.

100 Zixl

Post by 100 Zixl »

highpockets wrote:Using Trace Bitmap requires really high quality bit maps. Your pictures are showing some really low quality images.

In most cases I've found using a bit map as a guide and manually using the Create Vector tools and then using Node Edit to fine tone the vectors actually takes less time then using Trace Bitmap and then Node Editing.

It will take some practice to get proficient at using Node Edit, but it's worth the effort.
Thank you. I did a little trial and error, it will take some getting use to, can see where it will be handy in repair of image.

100 Zixl

Post by 100 Zixl »

Mike-S wrote:Take your digital file and use Photoshop or Corel and crank the contrast way up so you have white paper with super black Sharpie lines.
Then auto trace. It will put a vector on both sides of your lines which can then be V-carved.
Don't have the two programs, so gave windows live photo gallery fix a try. Increased the contrast as much as possible. Did a test run with out a bit or wood, complete in 3 min 18 sec.

Can not thank you two enough for the help.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Free alternatives...

GIMP (PhotoShop substitute)
InkScape (CorelDraw and/or Illustrator substitute)

Both GIMP and InkScape are totally free and very capable programs.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC