Holes not lining up

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
eggman
Model of CNC Machine: chinese 4030

Holes not lining up

Post by eggman »

Hi,

I am new to this so it's quite possible that I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea if the issue is my CNC Router, UCCNC or Vcarve.

I've created a simple vcarve file to drill 4 6mm holes (using a drill toolpath and 6mm bit) one in each corner of my spoilboard. This works fine.

A second toolpath (this time a pocket toolpath using the same bit) is set to create some 12mm countersinks around the holes. I aligned each of the countersink circles with each of the through hole circles to center them.

The 2d and 3d previews look correct, when I drill the holes with the 1st toolpath, they are where I expected and repeatable. The 1st 2 countersinks (left hand side) are good, but the 3rd and 4th (right hand side) are a way off on the Y axis approx 5mm too high. This is totally repeatable.

It seems to me, that as the spindle moves from finishing the top of the top left hole, it's moving the right distance on the X axis but not moving on the Y axis so when it starts at the center of the top right hole it's not in the middle.
Spoil Board.crv
Vcarve file
(89 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Can anyone help me to troubleshoot this?

thanks in advance

Eggman

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: Holes not lining up

Post by Bob Reda »

I ran the file, it seems to be ok. If it is ok in the program it is something else. I don't understand why the first set of holes is ok, and the second is not. It should have nothing to do with the pocket unless you have an offset somewhere I don't see. If it isn't these its a machine issue. In the vectric software if it previews goods the file is good.

Bob

eggman
Model of CNC Machine: chinese 4030

Post by eggman »

thanks Bob,

I'm inclined to agree its a machine issue. i've just tried forcing it to go from top left to bottom right and thats worked. I wonder if its struggling to do a diagonal where theres only a very small movement on the y axis compared to x. forcing it to go bottom right means they're both moving a lot.

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

While this option may not solve a machine issue, you could do a merge of the 2 toolpaths, be sure to check grid and shortest path. That way both the drill and pocket will be done together.