Inset Corner Rectangle and Circle don't line up

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Re: Inset Corner Rectangle and Circle don't line up

Post by tomgardiner »

Looks to me as if you resized enlarging the y axis. the radii look to be elongated in y. Possible explanation is that you pulled on one of the blue squares in middle of the handles that appear for moves. That would extend or diminish in one axis.

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

tomgardiner wrote:Looks to me as if you resized enlarging the y axis. the radii look to be elongated in y. Possible explanation is that you pulled on one of the blue squares in middle of the handles that appear for moves. That would extend or diminish in one axis.
Thank you. I know that's what it looks like. But I did not resize anything. And as I posted previously, I have been able to duplicate the issue, no resizing involved.

John, thanks, I don't know what you are doing wrong/right. And sorry, I forgot to include the ghost, that might have helped. Maybe the ShopBot specific program comes with its own ghosts.

Martin, thanks, I don't know what happened with the pics in that one post, the other all 3 posted inline just fine.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Walt,

Please try this:

Open a new session of VCP, Set the Job Setup to 14Wx5.5H Datum point in the center.

Using the Draw Rectangle tool draw a rectangle, set the Anchor point to X0 Y0, Corner Type Radiused Internal .5 Radius, Size 14W5.5H click Create and click Cancel to exit Draw Rectangle.

Using the Draw Circle tool draw a circle, set X to -7 Y to 2.75, Radius .5 click Create and click Cancel to exit Draw Circle.

You now have a circle in the upper left corner. Does the Circle and Radiused Corner of the Rectangle align?
John
Maker of Chips

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

John,

Thanks. Again. :mrgreen: Yes, I can get them to match up. I posted that above. But I have also been able, as shown in the photos on page 1, to not have them match up, twice now. I am using the exact same settings each time, the only difference being moving the datum point after drawing the rectangle (center) and before drawing the circles (bottom left). So I am questioning why that is happening?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

How are you drawing the rectangle and circle? Are you typing the measurements in directly or are you dragging with the mouse?

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

I am typing the dimensions directly into the Draw Rectangle and Draw Circle tools.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

How about the move? Is that a drag or typed in directly?

I've tried all sorts of variations of the steps you've described and the only way I can simulate it is if I mistakenly grab the wrong handle when moving by the mouse or entering the wrong values at any stage when creating the rectangle or circle.

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

I guess I'm not really "moving" anything, I'm changing the datum point from center to bottom left.

Normally when I setup a layout I do it all centered, this is easier for me. After it is all laid out I move the datum point to bottom left for cutting. I've never had an issue before doing it this way.

BUT, this time around, after I had the layout setup, I thought I'd try something different. I thought it would be easier to exactly place the circles on the four corners with X,Y at 0,0. So instead of adding the circles with everything still centered, I changed the datum point to bottom left and then added the circles. This is where it got messed up. If you look closely at all the pictures, the circles (or circle since I thought it easier to just focus on one) is placed exactly where it should be. It's the rectangle that seems to be off, as well as the radius. So did changing the datum point do this? Did the rectangle get drawn wrong to begin with? If it did, why and how? I can say for certain I know what numbers I used, so I'm pretty certain it wasn't operator error in this case.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Looking at the CRV file you posted I'm a bit confused over the rectangle corners. The inset corners option on the rectangle tool creates arcs in the corners. The rectangles in your file have beziers. The radius in the X direction is 0.5" and 0.55" in the Y which is why they don't line up.

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Well then that's interesting. I did not convert anything to anything after drawing. I did not resize anything after drawing. This whole thing is odd. Maybe it was just a one off, or actually two off since I duplicated it, fluke. Not sure what else to think and don't want to waste others time with something there might not be an answer to. :?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Well, look at it this way:

You are asking people who pretty much know what they are doing to duplicate an error. After attempting to duplicate whatever happened to your design, they have not been able to duplicate it.

In the process, you have had several good suggestions on how to accomplish a task like this one without having all the fun of trying to figure out what has gone wrong.

If you really want to figure this out, you could do a couple of things, note EVERY single step you take to create the drawing. Take screen shots of EVERYTHING you enter. Or, if you have a screen recorder app, turn it on and record your session and then post it on YouTube.

One of the most difficult things to do is trouble shoot what is happening with bits and pieces of information presented in a less than logical order.

Here is what I mean:

Set up a job with the following:

5 X 10 X .75 with 0,0 at the center of the screen

Draw a rectangle, 5 X 14 centered on the screen.

Draw a circle at 1,1.5 with a diameter of .5

Now, change the job center to the lower left corner.

etc, etc, etc. Tedious, but it is what you will need to do if you want these folks to figure it out.

Those numbers are just for example.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Walt,

You could also measure the radiused corners of the rectangle at each step of the process to see when you get the 0.5" and 0.55" radiuses mentioned by Adrian above.

That is:
1. draw the initial rectangle with job XY datum at centre
2. measure
3. move the job XY datum to lower left
4. measure
5. move the rectangle to 0,0
6. meaure
7. draw circle
8. measure

Also, using your instructions I get a good result. I'm running version 8.517 (64bit) build 3438.3170.418 (Feb 16 2017) with software OpenGL.

Steven