Toolpath assistance

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Toolpath assistance

Post by martin54 »

redneck1210 wrote:
dealguy11 wrote:Preview quality is different from modeling resolution. On the menu bar click on "Toolpath", then on "Preview simulation quality". Choose a higher setting to get a smoother simulation. I keep mine set at the max.
Wow, somehow I never saw that. Thanks.
Just remember that the higher you set the preview resolution the more time it will take to generate, if you are running a high end machine with plenty of memory & a good graphics card then it's not a problem, if you are running an older machine that is short on memory it can be like watching paint dry :lol:
Also what other settings you are using like the animation & the bit cutting :lol:

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

I remember there was a post not too long ago about a keystroke combination where you could get ultra high resolution. :shock: :shock:
For the life of me I cannot remember what it was.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Hold <SHIFT> when you create a new file.
Attachments
HIresSetup.jpg

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Mike-S wrote:Hold <SHIFT> when you create a new file.
Thanks Mike just found it myself.
sseale wrote:
I'm not 100% sure in VCarve, but in Aspire there are two more levels of modeling resolution available, but a weird key command is required to access them from the standard drop down list!
If you open the program, click on File, then pressing Ctrl and Shift together and select New - the Job Setup template opens. In Modeling Resolution drop down window Extremely High (20x slower), and Maximum (50x slower) are now available.
Might be worth a try in VCarve.
Scott

Thanks Scott - that's a pretty neat trick! I'll definitely be noting that one down! Giving it a try soon.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

dwilli9013 wrote:
Mike-S wrote:Hold <SHIFT> when you create a new file.
Thanks Mike just found it myself.
sseale wrote:
I'm not 100% sure in VCarve, but in Aspire there are two more levels of modeling resolution available, but a weird key command is required to access them from the standard drop down list!
If you open the program, click on File, then pressing Ctrl and Shift together and select New - the Job Setup template opens. In Modeling Resolution drop down window Extremely High (20x slower), and Maximum (50x slower) are now available.
Might be worth a try in VCarve.
Scott

Thanks Scott - that's a pretty neat trick! I'll definitely be noting that one down! Giving it a try soon.
Just a quick note this does work also with the icon in aspire (Hold shift key down, pick on new icon ) Then modeling resolution will offer the next two higher resolutions of 20x & 50X
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Dwayne, good that you have now got access to the 2 higher modeling resolutions but what the OP needs to do is increase the toolpath preview resolution which is a different thing altogether :lol: :lol:

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

increase the toolpath preview resolution
Attachments
PreviewQuality.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

redneck1210
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Post by redneck1210 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
increase the toolpath preview resolution
Excellent. Changing settings now.

redneck1210

Post by redneck1210 »

Wow, I changed my settings and it's like a whole new world! Is there anything else I need to adjust?

redneck1210

Post by redneck1210 »

Thanks to a combination of everyone's help on here I finally got a version of the sign that I had in my head the whole time. However, I took a look at the time estimate and holy crap! My jobs usually end up being 30% or so shorter than the VCarve time estimates, but dang. Can anyone recommend any options to reduce the machining time? I swapped the clearance bit from a 1/4'' to a 1/2'' and that's all I can think of. I will also crank up the feed rate when the 1/2'' bit is cutting. I realize it's a big sign, so I may just have to get a 12 pack and wait.

I had to put it on my Google Drive because Windows' crappy algorithm couldn't get it below 2MB and it won't let me upload 7Zip files.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7w_aw ... sp=sharing

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Most of the time is in the 1/16" bit. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do with it since it will most likely break if you try to push it harder. 100 ipm is pushing it as it is, though you have a low stepdown so it may be ok. Part of the reason I chose a raised v-carving in my original posting rather than one that's pocketed into the material was to avoid issues with having to use tiny bits.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

silver mold maker
Model of CNC Machine: Inventables Carvey

Post by silver mold maker »

HI:
New to this forum so I am not sure were to go ask about a support question. But if of you all could help greatly appreciate it. I have a Carvey by Inventables. I am using Easel software now. But I purchased Vectric V- carve Desktop and photo V Carve as package deal. My question is how do I go about downloading the Post Processor form easel. I know where to find the download on easel on the support page but once I download it to my download file where do I go next. I might be going all about this the wrong way. Thanks to all that support this forum. I have tried to look on YouTube but I have not found anything to help. Greatly appreciated if someone could help or advise me.
Best Regards: Silver Mold Maker

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

silver mold maker, you would be better starting a new post to ask your questions rather than tagging it on to an existing one, far more chance of it getting seen & answered that way :lol: :lol:

On the Vcarve general page towards the top on the left you will find the button to start a new post, the search button is next to it :lol:

new post.JPG

Sorry can't help with your question, I don't know anything about your machine or what control software it is running.