Flat Bottom Engraving Bits

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
slick999
Model of CNC Machine: Viper XZ

Flat Bottom Engraving Bits

Post by slick999 »

Does anyone have a good source for a flat bottom engraving bit?
Would like to purchase one based on the Stacked Text Template tutorial.
20 - 45 degree angle 1/4 shank with a 1 mm flat bottom.
Any help is appreciated.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Flat Bottom Engraving Bits

Post by martin54 »

Don't know if they have exactly what you are looking for but a lot of people on the forum have said that drillman is a good seller, being in the UK I have never actually used them myself. :lol: :lol:

http://stores.ebay.com/CARBIDE-PLUS?_tr ... 7675.l2563

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi: Go to www.2Linc.com lots of different bits. Good people to deal with. Norm

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Martin,
I checked out the tutorial, and James specified a .03 inch flat.
Drillman1's .25" shank tools I'm 99% sure are true VBits(just looked at his 30/60/90* under 10X loupe).
His .125" shanks I use all the time, and unless it's specified as a "Sharp" tip(.006"flat), they are a .012" flat.
(I personally don't recommend the 30* "Sharp" as the tips break on me, BUT JUST used his new 60* "Sharp" and it cut wonderfully)

In .25" shank I use Onsrud 37-** series engraving bits with the .005 and .01" flats and Love them.
Page 19;
http://www.onsrud.com/files/pdf/OC-12-P ... atalog.pdf

After trying several suppliers I found best price and shipping options at Ballew Saw and they have the .03" flat in a 30*;
https://ballewsaw.com/onsrud-37-27-sing ... tools.html
Which I think is what the OP wants?

I HIGHLY recommend Drillman1, but haven't ever seen a .03" flat.
I did do the the small Stacked Text business card holder shown in pics, with Drillman's .125"2F Downcut EM, and the .125" shank 30* standard .012"flat, and was quite happy with it, in both the Cherry proto, and the Sugar Maple final.
Hope any of this helps,
scott
Attachments
KELLY 1 MERGED 3 ROUGHINGS.jpg
KELLY 8.jpg
KELLY MAPLE 1 FIRST PASS.jpg
2017-05-07 08_21_24-Vectric - Stacked Text Template - YouTube.jpg
2017-05-07 08_29_54-Layout 1 - OC-12-ProductionCuttingToolCatalog.pdf.jpg
Last edited by scottp55 on Sun May 07, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Scott, I will make a note of that so I know when people ask in the future. I haven't ever looked at what he sells because he doesn't ship to the UK, I just know that he has been mentioned on the forum by people I would trust myself :lol: :lol:
Norman actually linked to another Company that has been mentioned quite a few times who I also know nothing about personally but who's name eluded me when I posted :lol:

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

I agree with drillman1 on ebay. I use the 30 and 45 "flat" bits all the time. I also agree with Scott on the 30* sharps breaking. I used one the other day and broke it almost right away. It was brand new.

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

I'm very glad I found this thread, as it helped me decide what bits I would purchase to create these style (stacked text) of signs, plus other fine engraving projects I had in my head. I didn't really think about using a flat-bottomed cutter before (I saw sign making v-groove bits, but their flat spot is 3/16", which is WAY too big for this purpose, and I hated the look of the grooves after using a standard v-groove (60 or 90 degree) bit and I spent too much time/effort cleaning up around the lettering.

I decided to go with the Amana In-Groove line of insert cutter/blades: (link).

It is VERY hard to find these things in Canada, and while I was at the ToolsToday website, I got an offer I couldn't refuse: free shipping to Canada (which is fairly rare in my experience) and 10% off the total order (first time Canadian customer).

The price of the replacement blades is a little steep (~$22 each), but I figured that in the long run, it will be cheaper than buying individual bits. I bought the 8 piece set (the shank body plus a number of different blades) with a few extra blades in the size recommended by other posters above (60 degree, .03 inch tip width). I can imagine these blades will be even more fragile than the bits mentioned in threads above, so I will have to be VERY careful when using my touchplate and making sure I don't bite off more than they can chew (feedrate and/or pass depth).

I just ordered them, so I can't speak as to their quality/performance, but I thought it might help others decide on the correct tool for the job at hand.

Allan

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Allen,

I have been using the In-Groove V-bits for a number of years now. They are very long lasting. I have not had a problem with the sharp points breaking but they do tend to round off through wear which is understandable. Those that do that I use for V-Carving larger text as the sides are still sharp. I only put in a new bit with a sharp point when I need to do fine or tiny text.

Paul

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

Post by vgraves »

I bought a set from PreciseBits and like them.

http://www.precisebits.com/products/car ... ET!!!#Tabs.

Mine have a 0.029 diameter tip, and it looks like those have been replaced with a 0.015 diameter tip.

Van

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Fleming wrote:Allen,

I have been using the In-Groove V-bits for a number of years now. They are very long lasting. I have not had a problem with the sharp points breaking but they do tend to round off through wear which is understandable. Those that do that I use for V-Carving larger text as the sides are still sharp. I only put in a new bit with a sharp point when I need to do fine or tiny text.

Paul
Thanks for the information. I was wondering about sharpening these blades, but I imagine it wouldn't be a good idea since it would likely throw off the balance and the cutting geometry (the flat size) would get effected. The headache and wasted material would likely be more than the cost of a new cutting blade. That's something I've learned the hard way, and made spending the amount of money I did on a good set that much more palatable (hopefully my wife understands.....). Now I just need to find the most cost effective place to buy replacement blades...

Allan

Lesa Duncan
Model of CNC Machine: AR8 PRO

Post by Lesa Duncan »

slick999 wrote:Does anyone have a good source for a flat bottom engraving bit?
Would like to purchase one based on the Stacked Text Template tutorial.
20 - 45 degree angle 1/4 shank with a 1 mm flat bottom.
Any help is appreciated.
Slick did you find a good bit for this I am working on it and that second layer is taking days to do? Did yours take days? Did you find a good bit for it? I am using a pointed bit and thinking maybe that is what the problem is?

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

I've been using the in-groove bits for years as well. I wouldn't trade them. They are very strong, and last forever. I almost exclusively use the 30' 0.005" flat and use a touch probe to set my Z on every job. I've never had one break a tip on me.

They are expensive to get in Canada ($33 each + shipping from toolstoday.com) but I haven't found anywhere else that is cheaper. I've tried other bits (precisebits.com) and a few cheaper box store/CMT, etc and they just don't go the distance, and they aren't that much cheaper than the in-line blades.

Gordon

AlbertaClipper
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by AlbertaClipper »