Issue selecting all vectors for vcarving

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
robfromfort
Model of CNC Machine: AR2400

Issue selecting all vectors for vcarving

Post by robfromfort »

Hi All,

New to the forum, thanks for the add.

I have an issue when selecting all the vectors of some lettering Vcarve doesn't plot them. This happens with an i and an e. It does however pick up the inside of the e and attempt to plot that... Also the i plots fine in another of the words.

However if I then manually select both the letters and send them to a separate tool file it sees them without issue.

I take it this is a glitch of some kind, I have tried searching the forum with key words and found nothing, so I just thought I'd save time and ask. Someone must know of a fix for this issue. I have had it with other things as well, mainly lettering.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Issue selecting all vectors for vcarving

Post by highpockets »

Can you post the vcp file?

Second, why are you converting the text to curves?

If the letters are converted to curves they are now individual vectors such that the out side curve of the "e" is now a separate vector from the inside curve. Same with an "i" the dot of the i is a separate vector from the vertical bar of the i.
John
Maker of Chips

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Is it a script type font with the letters overlapping? If so that is your issue. Script fonts (or other overlapping fonts) will vcarve correctly if they are left as text but if you convert them to curves then you must join the overlapping vectors together to get the toolpath to work.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If it's a script as Adrian has said & has been converted to curves then use the weld command to join all the letters together, make sure that the centres of letters are deselected before welding or they will be deleted :lol: :lol: :lol:

As John has said attaching the file to your post is generally quite useful but obviously for copyright reasons can't always be done, in those cases the next best thing is a screen shot or two of the problem :lol: :lol:

robfromfort
Model of CNC Machine: AR2400

Post by robfromfort »

That answers that then. Yeah it was a script text. I created the file in Corel and then sent it over as dxf so I guess the default is curves. I do get the same thing when creating a script type text in Vcarve as well though but welding them works a treat. Happy man.

Thanks for the quick replies folks,

Rob

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you create it in Vcarve & leave it as text rather than converting to curves then it should machine OK, once you convert it to curves then it behaves differently :lol: :lol:

When you convert it to curves it is the overlaps that cause the problems, welding it all together makes it one large graphic & all the overlaps are removed :lol: :lol:

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

Please post a screenshot of your material set up from the toolpaths section.

How many toolpaths are you running?

Does this occur during on,e specific toolpath?

Where are you zeroing Z? Off the face of the material or machine bed?