Depth of cut issues

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Depth of cut issues

Post by Leo »

To your original request.

I cannot see any significant issues with tool settings.

You picture is not clear enough to see the issue with the digs in the part.

For each scrap piece, is the defect the exact same in each piece?
Or is it random?

Your feed at 50 IPM is pretty conservative, so I cannot blame feedrate.

Only thing I would say there is that you may need to reconsider chipload. High spindle RPM and low feedrate do not usually combine well for good chipload. That can cause cutter burning and shorten tool life. THAT, however is not your problem with the gouging.

What material are you cutting? Looks like maple, but it may be something else.
Can you take a really good close up of the gouges?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You didn't answer the question about how you're setting the z-zero between bit changes.

redandbon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Post by redandbon »

rocky53204 wrote:Did it look that way in the simulation?
Thanks to all, I will reset my tool diameter and see what happens. No, it did not look that way in the simulation rocky.

Red

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

There is a very basic rule. . . . .

If the simulation looks correct, but the part comes out wrong you have a machine problem.

As the folks have been explaining, make sure that you actually put the tool you choose in the sw into the machine.

Whenever I start to suspect the software I remind myself of something:

Vectric has literally thousands of customers. Lots of them are writing multiple programs every single day. Some of them have been doing it for over ten years. Do I really think that I have just discovered some new problem?

Once I remind myself of that, I go ahead and figure out what I am doing wrong at the machine, or what malady has befallen it.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

TReischl wrote:There is a very basic rule. . . . .

If the simulation looks correct, but the part comes out wrong you have a machine problem.

As the folks have been explaining, make sure that you actually put the tool you choose in the sw into the machine.

Whenever I start to suspect the software I remind myself of something:

Vectric has literally thousands of customers. Lots of them are writing multiple programs every single day. Some of them have been doing it for over ten years. Do I really think that I have just discovered some new problem?

Once I remind myself of that, I go ahead and figure out what I am doing wrong at the machine, or what malady has befallen it.
+1 :!:
John
Maker of Chips

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

+1 ---- this is one reason I asked about close pics of the actual piece as well as the other questions.

Adrian also had a valid question.

We ARE trying to help you.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

redandbon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by redandbon »

Adrian wrote:You didn't answer the question about how you're setting the z-zero between bit changes.
Adrian: I set the Z-zero at the top of the material using a sheet of paper as a thickness gauge.

redandbon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by redandbon »

Leo wrote:+1 ---- this is one reason I asked about close pics of the actual piece as well as the other questions.

Adrian also had a valid question.

We ARE trying to help you.
I DO appreciate your help Leo. I just answered Adrian's question. Thanks to everyone on the Forum.

redandbon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by redandbon »

Leo wrote:To your original request.

I cannot see any significant issues with tool settings.

You picture is not clear enough to see the issue with the digs in the part.

For each scrap piece, is the defect the exact same in each piece?
Or is it random?

Your feed at 50 IPM is pretty conservative, so I cannot blame feedrate.

Only thing I would say there is that you may need to reconsider chipload. High spindle RPM and low feedrate do not usually combine well for good chipload. That can cause cutter burning and shorten tool life. THAT, however is not your problem with the gouging.

What material are you cutting? Looks like maple, but it may be something else.
Can you take a really good close up of the gouges?
Leo: I have attached some better pictures that illustrate the gouging. I'm an amateur, but it seems to me like the bit is moving too rapidly when it relocates to make a new cut. It then cuts through material that it shouldn't. I don't know if this is related to spindle speed or not. I am running at 20,000 RPM. Do I need to perhaps make an RPM or feed rate adjustment?

The defects are really all over the map, so I don't know how to answer that part of your question. I am cutting poplar, so as you know, it's not a very hard wood.

As always, I thank you and the rest of the Forum members for your help.
Red
Attachments
Cross1.jpg.JPG
Cross2.jpg.JPG
Cross3.jpg.JPG

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What have you set your Z1 & Z2 heights at in the material set up ?
You may well find your feedrate is to high on the profile cut at 100 ipm, not seen one close up but from pictures/videos I have seen of that particular machine they don't look to be to rigid.

You may also need to look at your cv settings but someone who knows the control software you use would have to tell you how to check that :lol: :lol:
toolpath setup2.JPG

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

I know you are doing your best to get good pictures. They look like cell phone pics. Not really clear "macro" setting pics from a "camera".

There is something really odd about those "gouges". No RPM is not going to be the issue. Feedrate maybe, but you are running at 50 IPM, which is considered slow. If you were running at 500 IPM I would be concerned, or even at 200 IPM. I am not concerned at 50 IPM. BUT - I will ask - are you SURE that the feedrate is at 50 - OR - are you overriding it to a much higher rate?

Here is a possibility - Ramping.
Are you ramping?

Look at your 1/8 end mill and see if the ramping is on - if yes, shut it off and try it again.

Another thought is.
Did you set you zero on TOP or on BOTTOM of the part.

Have you rechecked the thickness of the actual material, and you job material in Vectric. All of that needs to match up.

Check out those things and post what you find.

redandbon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by redandbon »

Leo and Adrian:

Here is the info you wanted:
Z1=1.5"
Z2=0.1"
Feed Rate=100 IPM
Ramping is NOT on
Pass Depth=.05"
Stepover=.035
Plunge Rate=30.0
Setting zero on TOP of material
Home Start = X-0, Y-0, Z-1.5
Material: Poplar .75"

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

I know the questions from us can seem a bit frustrating. Why don't we just tell you what is wrong. We don't know yet, that's why we keep asking questions. Just bear with us and we should be able to find it.

Now, back to Adrian's question. Just to be sure. You reset EVERY tool with the paper ship to the top of the material. Every time you change a cutter, you reset the new cutter on top of the material?

It looks like the issue is coming from the 1/8 cutter.

On the ramping - did you click on the ramps tab to check if it is on? The tab showing on the posted image from a few posts ago is not the ramp tab.
ramps.jpg

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

redandbon wrote:Home Start = X-0, Y-0, Z-1.5
In your material setup - you have home set to......... MINUS 1.5?

redandbon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by redandbon »

Leo, as far as I'm concerned, the more questions the better as I am relatively new to CNC, so no worries. In answer to Adrian's question, yes, I do reset the Z to zero at the very top of the material using the paper shim for each tool change. My Z Stop setting on this was +1.5, bad grammar on my part since I used a hyphen which could be interpreted as a minus 1.5". Sorry for any confusion. I did check the ramping tab and it is not on.

Thanks Again,
Red