X Y View

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
firechief
Model of CNC Machine: MachMate

X Y View

Post by firechief »

How can I change the X to go top to bottom and the Y to be right to left in the view window so it will match my machine layout.

Thank,

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: X Y View

Post by Adrian »

You don't. It's fixed.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Complete your "drawing" with the axes as they are.
Before calculating any toolpaths, rotate the whole thing 90 degrees.
That will simulate the X and Y being as your machine is.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You can update your Post Processor to swap the X and Y values.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

firechief

Post by firechief »

Thanks for the help

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If it were me then I would be looking to change the machine round rather than trying to make the software fit, having all your x y moves as negative numbers may cause you problems if you get files sent to you by others or if you want to complete any of the vectric projects. Having said that I always re toolpath the vectric projects to suit my machine anyway :lol: :lol:

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

firechief...
Does your machine have a homing routine with limit switches? What corner of the table does the machine home to?

Like others have said you can change most anything you have a desire to, BUT.... for the most part

If your XY zero is not the lower left, you are standing in the wrong position.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

firechief

Post by firechief »

Does your machine have a homing routine with limit switches? What corner of the table does the machine home to?... YES it does to the left front corner

Like others have said you can change most anything you have a desire to, BUT.... for the most part

If your XY zero is not the lower left, you are standing in the wrong position. ... Yes it is in the Front left corner. X goes Back the 8' and the Y goes 4' to the Right side.

I can jog X+ to the back X- to the front... Y+ to the right and the Y- to the left... Z+ goes up Z- goes down..

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

I would swap your X and Y axis control wires, assuming that you have single drive motors on each axis.

Mark

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Is this a machine you have bought new/second user or one you have built yourself ? I know mechmate sell in kit form so you can build yourself. Just curious because that isn't what people would normally expect, guessing the control software has been set up differently because normally if your machine moving away from you were x+ then y moving to the right would be y- :lol: :lol: :lol:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

If your XY zero is not the lower left, you are standing in the wrong position. ... Yes it is in the Front left corner. X goes Back the 8' and the Y goes 4' to the Right side.
My preference would be to stand on the side of that machine, so that the X moves from your left to your right.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

firechief...

I think there is something messed up. Either in your machines directional orientation or your observation position. For "normal" upper right quadrant CNC use, when the XY zero is in the lower left corner, X is positive to the right and Y is positive up (or away).

No matter what else is going on, X must be left and right, Y must be up and down. Your layout can be accommodated in VCPro by using a upper left XY datum. Of course this means you need to view the table from around the X-, Y+ corner. XY zero is in the upper left.

If this is not desirable, then you will need to swap wires on your machine.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

firechief

Post by firechief »

Looking at the table as I stand. Homing is in the front to your left corner. Jog Y+ move to the left, jog X+ moves to the back. Mach4 jog buttons moves the same XYZ.
It will cut fine but XY in v carve view is 90 off. X is still x and Y is still Y.
Attachments
TableFront.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'd say you're looking at the machine the wrong way round from that picture and description. It looks to be the same layout as a Shopbot and the front of one of those is the long axis on the right. Your picture is taken from the left hand side not the front.

That means the XY home should be on the right hand side nearest to the camera. Moving Y+ will go from right to left from the picture view and X+ will go away from the camera.

Bit confused over your description of the Y movement as you seem to be saying it's moving differently to one of the previous posts.

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

Here's something that might be helpful. The control pendant is sitting at the lower left corner of my machine and oriented in the proper direction. Notice the closeup of the X-Y direction arrows. The spindle should travel in the direction of the arrows when pressed, same for the jogging arrows on your software. If not, simply re-wire your machine to make it conform.

Mark
Attachments
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG