Array coppies

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
edwan
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Array coppies

Post by edwan »

I have created a simple bowl, a pocket and a profile. Now I have used the array tool to create an array.
I cannot for the life of me get the toolpaths from the first item to copy to the others of the array.
I have watched the video tutorial several times, and I cant get it to work.

The vector drawing copies correctly, but I cannot get the toolpaths to copy to the array. UGH!

Its always something simple. Usually me being to simple.

Any help please.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Array coppies

Post by martin54 »

Did you toolpath the first bowl before you created the array of copies ??

edwan

Post by edwan »

Yes, then I selected the first bowl, did "Recalculate all Toolpaths" and it only recacculates the first again. Nothing happens to others in the array.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

In preparation for associating the toolpaths to the array, you should assign the vectors to a unique layer for each toolpath. For instance the pocket boundary should be on one layer. If you were using the fluting toolpath to create a bowl then they would be on their own layer. You can move vectors to layers or new layers by selecting the vectors then right clicking and MOVE TO LAYER.
Create your toolpath but use VECTOR SELECTION option which appears just above the Toolpath name field in the toolpath side of the program. Click on the buttons in vector selection window to select open or closed vectors from individual layers and click associate with toolpath option. What you should see is there are a number of vectors in the selection and once you close the Vector Selection dialog box the appropriate vectors are highlighted. Once calculated the toolpath should be correct for all the bowls in the array.
If this is too much to take in at once, you could also just double click on the toolpath and manually select the appropriate vectors and recalculate the toolpath.

edwan

Post by edwan »

Thanks Tom! That worked perfectly on the first try. I individually selected the vectors for each toolpath as you described.
I don't know what I could not understand about the training video, except that I did not use separate layers. I think I was because the video created the individual layers early in the demo project, and I did not associate that with the array explanation at the end of the video.

At any rate thanks for your help.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

You're welcome. I am glad it worked. In general, I like to make use of layers whenever I am drawing. More often than not it will help with toolpaths or drawing organization.