Bevel the end of a part

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Bevel the end of a part

Post by gkas »

I'm pretty new at Vcarve Pro, about a week. My latest challenge was to bevel the end of a part. In this case a clamp. I got it done using fluting, after reading about the technique on this forum. It works great, but very slow to carve. I tried the chamfer gadget, but I can't figure out how to get it to bevel a single edge, and in a specified direction. After watching the Dovetails Gadget demo, I noticed how the pins bevel is cut. I have no idea how that was done. Can someone point me in the best directions?
Attachments
Fluting Beve_smalll.jpg

mike.davison
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II with rotary

Re: Bevel the end of a part

Post by mike.davison »

This may be one of those cases where a table saw or some other conventional woodworking machine is faster. Something to consider.

If the slope matches that of a V bit or of some other profile router bit/cutter you could do a very simple profile cut.

Any chance you could create a jig to hold the board on edge and then mill the slope with an end mill? Pretty fast if you can access the board that way.

Otherwise..... a 3D model using the biggest round nose bit you have.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Create a series of vectors and use the fluting toolpath option

Michael
Attachments
slope 1.JPG
slope 2.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

That's what I have in my example. I've already cut a part to test it. The dovetail bevel looks like a much faster cut.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

If you create only 2 lines, and reverse the start point of the second one in Node edit, and THEN linear array that pair of lines, it will reduce cutting time by almost half due to less air time. Keeping Z1 and Z2 as low as practical for your set up will also help.
scott
OH...don't forget to check the "use vector start points" do not optimize box.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

You can use the Moulding toolpath. It will cut going back and forth, side to side down the slope without lifting up the bit. Draw a side view (profile) of the slope you want. Start it on the high end. Draw a straight vector (guide rail) along the top from edge to edge. With the guide rail vector selected choose the moulding tool path on the tool path menu side. Tell it to use what you have selected. Then click on the profile vector. Pick a ball end bit. Such a simple slope I'd choose a 1/4" ball end for quickest results. Set a boundary offset to 1/2 the diameter of the bell end bit you've chosen.

4D

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I am with Mike on this one, not really a cnc job, I do those on the disk sander. Only takes a few seconds per clamp & it probably won't be long before you cut the end of it off with a tool bit anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

martin54 wrote:I am with Mike on this one, not really a cnc job, I do those on the disk sander. Only takes a few seconds per clamp & it probably won't be long before you cut the end of it off with a tool bit anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
This has been mostly an exercise in getting used to the software. I usually do the ends on my belt sander. This started after I read on the forum the ingenious ways fluting was being used. I'm loving this software. 8)

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you are working on getting use to the software then one really good aspect of it is the preview screen, gives a very good view of what the piece will look like once it has been machined, saves a lot of time & money by eliminating mistakes, saved me a few times :oops:
It's very easy to forget you have other tools & equipment once you start using a cnc which is why I mentioned the sander, been guilty of it myself in the past :lol: :lol:

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Bored again. Thought I'd show an example of doing the ramp with the Moulding toolpath. File attached.
20 degree ramp2.jpg
4D
Attachments
20 degree ramp.crv
(109 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

4DThinker wrote:Bored again. Thought I'd show an example of doing the ramp with the Moulding toolpath. File attached.
20 degree ramp2.jpg
4D
Thanks for the example. I've been choosing the selections in the wrong order! No wonder I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks everyone for your input. The amount of experienced users in this forum is amazing. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Gerry

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for that also 4D....Good to look at during first cup in the morning:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

If you use the fluting toolpath to make a bevel with a low slope, an end mill will make a smoother cut than a ball end bit. If the length of the bevel needs to be precise, the guide lines need to be longer on the downhilll end by half the bit diameter as they control how far the center of the bit moves rather than the length of the cut. It doesn't work to change the start end of every other line to save time, as then half the cuts will be up and half will be down.
Bevel.PNG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I've found I can get the same results using either the moulding toolpath and a ball end bit, a fluting toolpath with an end mill or a ball end bit. In fluting the vectors all need to be the same length as the bevel is in the top view (run). Slope is generated when you set the depth (rise). Rise over run = slope. The difference in using an end mill or a ball end bit is just in how much in front of the bevel you shift the line array. End mills get shifted by 1/2 their diameter. Ball end bits get shifted over and down by an amount that depends on the slope and diameter of the bit. You set a start depth a little below the surface when using a ball end bit. In both cases the goal is to have the tail end of the bit as it runs down the slope be right where you want the slope face. To get fluting array tool paths as smooth as you can get a moulding or 3D toolpath you just need to have the vectors the same distance apart as the stepover would be for the ball end bit you would have used. Fluting can be optimized by setting the pass depth of the bit used 1/2 or the whole depth you are cutting. Since stepover is small the bit is only stressed on the first plunge which I usually slow down manually using the control software.

I get perfect results by always drawing a side view of the slope line though my material to see where the side view of the bit used needed to start.

4D

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for pointing out my mistake Mike!
I'd been doing troughs for displays using linear and circular arrays, and just spaced it when I answered :oops:
I too loved the fluting toolpath:)
scott
Attachments
computer shelf 3 fluting paths.jpg
three flutings 2.jpg
MAKER CRATE 2.jpg
R.N.