Moulding Skip Flat Region Not Skipping

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Moulding Skip Flat Region Not Skipping

Post by WaltS »

As the title says, I have a toolpath that uses an endmill for the clearance tool and a ballnose for the finish tool. I want to use the endmill for the large flat surface and have it marked as such. When I look at the toolpath and watch the preview, the toolpath does not show it skipping the flat area, nor does the preview.

I should add that the clearance toolpath is not cutting to the bottom flat depth, it is leaving material for the finish toolpath, which can be seen watching the preview.
Attachments
moulding skip flat.JPG
ring bowl moulding toolpath 1.JPG

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Moulding Skip Flat Region Not Skipping

Post by Leo »

I am not sure about V-Carve Pro, I THINK, you can do this.

You can make ANY vector shape you want on your model, THEN, create a 3D toolpath and select the vector you created and the 3D modeling toolpath will cut ONLY what is inside the vector you selected. Think about that - ANY - vector shape - freeform, circle, triangle, etc. Position it any way you want on the model. Imagine the possibilities!

NOW - back down to earth a little.

You can create (2) circle vectors on center of your model. ONE circle vector a little smaller diameter that your inner raised ring, and the Other circle vector a little larger than your inner raised ring. NOW Select those two vectors and create a 3D toolpath and the tool path will cut ONLY the inner ring. Repeat the process for the outer ring.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

lion-1.jpg
lion-2.jpg
lion-4.jpg
lion-3.jpg
My lunch break was over 20 minutes ago, so just a quickie.

Look at the pics in reference to my last post.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

That is AWESOME!!!! I had no idea that it would work that way. You are very correct that opens up some truly unique avenues for me.
Thanks for the info.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

I'm confused. Again. While I think I understand what you are describing, Leo, this isn't a 3D model. So I'm not sure how what you're describing is going to help here. :? I'm trying to grasp the Moulding toolpath which doesn't use a 3D model in order to compare it to the 3D model I cut that had all the issues with the vertical sides. But then there's a really good chance I'm missing something in the grand scheme of things.

But anyway, nothing in the tutorials or the help file addresses why what I posted above isn't working as it should. The bottom of the bowl is completely flat, so I should be able to use the clearance tool to machine that per the Machine Flat Regions setting, and then have the finish tool ignore the flat and just cut the contours using the Skip Flat Regions setting. But neither the clearance tool setting nor the finish tool setting is doing what it is described to do. It's as if the checkboxes weren't even checked.

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

Ahhh yes - the old molding toolpath issue.

Sorry, I was still thinking model. I am in the 3D model every single day, at work and at home.

I have never used the molding toolpath, so I cannot answer anything there. I don't think what I suggested will work on molding toolpath.

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

Make sure the flat areas are perfectly flat and level or you will get the results that you are seeing.
On your profile vector select the two nodes at he edges of the flat area and click Y to make them identical in that direction. That will move the second node selected to be the same position as the first one selected.
Euan

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thank you Euan. I tried that, I zoomed in, and they didn't appear to move at all. I was very careful when I drew them that they were straight and level and at 0* angle. But now I can't calculate a new toolpath to check because I'm getting the error message in my other thread.