Can't get to licensed PC - can I use demo version?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Owen Sparks
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 840

Can't get to licensed PC - can I use demo version?

Post by Owen Sparks »

Hi folks.

(Question 1)
A different scenario to the more usual "Can I use the trial software, save files, and then run them on the licensed version when I upgrade?"

This time it's "I have a licensed copy of V-Carve Pro at work, but I'm now in Lanzarote (with emigrated family) and we thought it'd be a fun Christmas family project to design a villa sign that I'll machine on my return to work and then ship out to them. So can I download the demo version to my laptop and save a project file that I can use in my licensed copy later?"

I'm not intending adding the full version to the laptop, as it's a personal machine and this is a one off scenario.

(Question 2)
Not nearly as important, but just wondering if Vectric has any plans to transfer to cloud based as opposed to installed SW platform?

I use ONshape CAD. I had a similar intention as above to create a 3D part for a family member. All I had to do was open up a web browser (anything that will run WEBGL so:- laptop / tablet / phone / windows / OS / Android / whatever) enter my credentials and there was fully functional CAD, with all my saved files sitting there, all at the current version of software, no need to download anything. In fact I was designing his part within 10 seconds of having the idea.

Now back to Vectric and we're talking downloads of demo files of whatever the current version might be, finding software keys or running in demo mode only. It all seems incredibly restrictive and old fashioned by comparison.

Not a knock aimed at Vectric, but just wondering if things are being developed to modernise the approach?

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.

Owen S.

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Re: Can't get to licensed PC - can I use demo version?

Post by WaltS »

Regarding question #1, While I was waiting for my licensed version of VCP, which was coming with my machine, I downloaded the trial version and created and saved a bunch of crv files that I was able to use when my licensed version came. The only thing you couldn't do with the demo was output toolpath files if I remember correctly. I'm sure if I'm mistaken someone will correct me, but you should be able to do what you want it sounds like.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

You can log into your Vectric account on the portal, and download the full version and your license code. If your using your own PC, you can install it and use it.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Owen Sparks
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 840

Post by Owen Sparks »

WaltS wrote:Regarding question #1, While I was waiting for my licensed version of VCP, which was coming with my machine, I downloaded the trial version and created and saved a bunch of crv files that I was able to use when my licensed version came. The only thing you couldn't do with the demo was output toolpath files if I remember correctly. I'm sure if I'm mistaken someone will correct me, but you should be able to do what you want it sounds like.
Ah-ha, great news. saving the .crv files and then loading those into the licensed version will do me just fine. Thanks for the info.
ger21 wrote:You can log into your Vectric account on the portal, and download the full version and your license code. If your using your own PC, you can install it and use it.

Thanks for the heads up. I tried going to the portal but it would seem that the portal credentials are different to the forum ones and the email for the customer portal details are on a PC at work... :D I used them once at initial install time but can't remember them now.

Thankyou both for taking the time to answer my question.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Files created with the demo version can only be loaded into the licensed version if the same PC is used so you would need to install the licensed version onto the PC that had the demo installed and then re-save them to use on another PC.

I would hate it if VCarve became cloud based and it will cause a lot of issues for people as many don't have network access in their workshops. The portal always has the license keys and the latest versions etc.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It would certainly cause me problems, I don't have a phone line at my industrial unit to help keep costs down, internet access via mobile devices is shocking & I haven't found a company that can provide a stable connection, I have to walk half way down the road with visitors who want to show me something on the internet so they can get a connection :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cost of having a hardline put in & then the monthly business costs would mean I had to do more work to pay for them. I run an old version of Adobe Creative Suit which still does what I need it to but the fact that they have gone cloud based would stop me from bringing my system right up to date if I wanted to :lol: :lol:

As Adrian says you will need to install the registered version on the laptop when you get back in order to access the file & save it so you can use it with your cnc.