Can you Label Guides?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Can you Label Guides?

Post by WaltS »

Is there a way to label the horizontal and vertical guides you can create? I've looked at all the menus and right click options but don't see anything. I'm assuming you can't but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.

Edit - If it's not possible to label them, is it possible to put different guides on different layers? I can't see a way to do that either.

markevans36301
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot handibot

Re: Can you Label Guides?

Post by markevans36301 »

I'm not where I can check but no, you can't label guidelines but I thought that they get drawn on the active layer. I'll check later tonight

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Walt...
Guides will remain visible (on top) on all layers and can be deleted but not made invisible.

If you need to label them, use the text tool placing text where you feel its needed. Text can be placed on its own layer and be toggled visible or not
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

markevans36301
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot handibot

Post by markevans36301 »

I had forgotten to look last night, IslaWW is right, always visible.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

You can quickly toggle the visibility of all guides by clicking the square area in the top left corner of the window at the top of the left ruler and the left of the top ruler.

Brian

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

I've been schooled again. :oops: :oops:
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thank you all for the helpful answers. I think the suggestion to add text might be the next best solution. Thank you.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

WaltS wrote:Thank you all for the helpful answers. I think the suggestion to add text might be the next best solution. Thank you.
Haha I was going to suggest that but thought there had to be a better answer :lol: :lol:

If your working with layers I would place the text on the layer they are relevant to rather than all on a separate layer & only have that layer visable. That way it should be a bit easier to identify which ones you need for each layer :lol: :lol: :lol:

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thanks Martin. I was hoping for a better solution, too. And your idea makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Post by Ton80 »

Placing guides onto layers would be a nice feature to have... I have so many guides on a current project ( and I really don't want to delete them until I am absolutely sure my layout is right ). The ability to only see the currently needed set of guides sure would be nice... #wishlist ;)n - is there even a wishlist

The same way you can put DIMENSIONS on a layer of their own or place them on a specific Layer is how I would like to work with GUIDES.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What are you using the guides for ? There may be other options that work for you like the alignment tools which may eliminate the need for some of the guides. You might also be able to use the grid rather than drawing lots of guides. A screenshot of the sort of thing you are doing may help others suggest alternatives that would work,
I don't tend to use guides that much but that is possibly just due to what I do with the software :lol: :lol:

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Post by Ton80 »

martin54 wrote:What are you using the guides for ? There may be other options that work for you like the alignment tools which may eliminate the need for some of the guides. You might also be able to use the grid rather than drawing lots of guides. A screenshot of the sort of thing you are doing may help others suggest alternatives that would work,
I don't tend to use guides that much but that is possibly just due to what I do with the software :lol: :lol:

I am working up a file to create 4 sides and a shelf for a cabinet box. Some rabbets for the back and to join the top/bottom to the sides and then a few holes and slot on the shelf. I was using the guides the same way you might use them in Sketchup. I am positive that I could have done a lot of this without the guides but I like the visual reference on screen. It's just the way my brain is wired.

With all the flexibility built into Vcarve Pro it is a bit surprising to me that you can't organize your guides the same way you can organize something like your dimensions. I can work around it and in a few weeks, I'll be feeling a bit more comfortable with the software. At that point I will probably start typing in the dimensions of a vector rather than using guides and then dragging a rectangle out to snap to the guides 8)
Attachments
what I use guides for.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

In Sketchup I use guides all the time. In VCarve/Aspire I never use them as it has much better tools for alignment, placement and positioning than Sketchup. You're right that you'll soon start to learn and use those tools. The smart snapping and quick keys added in V9 was the last piece in the puzzle for me.

Wouldn't hurt to be able to have guide layers though.

armbrusterco
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Roland MDX-40A

Post by armbrusterco »

When I have elements (such as hole patterns or spacing of grooves) that will align or repeat on a number of projects, I create layout layers. I include “reference markers” such as corners, sides, center points, center lines, etc. that relate to the elements’ position in the job.

I often use more than one layout layer in a job, turning their visibility on and off as needed. I export and import them, keeping a folder with exported “master layout layers.”

In your new drawing, you can select the layout layer components and drag them to align with a part that is being drawn. Then continue drawing by snapping to the layout layer’s elements or copy the layout layer elements directly to your drawing layer (great for hole patterns).

I also use layout layers for standard sizes of raw materials. I show clearance lines for clamps, pin spacing for tiling, etc. I also have a layout layer file for my machine bed that shows limits of router bit travel, clamp slots, alignment dowel holes, homing and work offset positions, 4th axis centerline, etc.

When a new job needs something that I have done before, I open old files and create a layout layer from elements in the file, then export the layout layer to use in the new job I am working on.
Many of my template files already have layers defined for layout, material, machine bed, etc.
Bob Armbruster
www.ArmbrusterCo.com