Use of tabs

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Re: Use of tabs

Post by Barry Anderson »

Martin:

I have eliminated the overlap on a couple of the letters. The overlap really has no effect on what I am having problems with. I have gotten a couple of letters to preview with tabs. I fully realize and admit that the problem is most likely me. I have checked for open and multiple toolpaths. I have converted the letter to curves. I have placed the tabs where I want them. They show up in the 2-d view. I hit the button to calculate the toolpath and they do not show up in the preview. When I follow the directions, I expect the desired results to follow. I must not be doing something consistently. I think over the holiday weekend, I am going to check all of my letter files and check the toolpaths again.

Thanks to all.

Barry

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Barry, I've attached the file that I used to save the previews I attached earlier in the thread with tabs everywhere. Perhaps by comparing that one to your one you might get some ideas.
Attachments
CircleA-lots of tabs.crv
(705.5 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Try increasing the toolpath resolution, could be wrong but seem to remember a post a while ago where the tabs weren't showing in the preview. You will find the preview resolution under the toopath tab at the top of the screen.

I did the same as Adrian, removed the duplicate vectors, joined the letter & circle & then dotted some tabs about, all the tabs showed up in the preview after the toolpath had been calculated.

I was going to suggest uploading another letter you were having problems with but there isn't much point doing that, maybe downloading & comparing Adrians file against what you have done will help :lol: :lol:

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Thanks guys. I did work on a couple of letters late last night. I just started completely over with them. I am having a bit more success. On one letter, I was attempting to place 4 tabs. 3 showed up and one did not. I will try the toolpath resolution.
Adrian, I will download your file later today, when I get home from my day job. Thank you, that is very kind.

Hope you all have a good day.
Barry

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Adrian:

I sent you a loooong PM. If too long, just disregard.

Barry

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Barry:

"The overlap really has no effect on what I am having problems with."

By having that overlap you are expecting the software to figure out where insides and outsides are for the intersecting vectors; plus what to do with the shape formed by them. While VCarve is generally good at this it does fail spectacularly with some overlapping and self-intersecting vectors. Better to make the model clean. "Garbage in; garbage out".

"I just started completely over with them. I am having a bit more success."; "I have been working on this some with mixed success."

That everyone is having spectacular and consistent success by, as it were, doing things right I suggest the following:

Take your originally posted file and do these 3 simple things (as I, and I presume Adrian, did originally):

1. convert the "A" to curves and make sure they are curves (the "A" is a text object in that original file)
2. remove all overlaps between the "A" and the circle
3. recalculate toolpath with tabs to verify success

If this still doesn't work:

1. post your VCarve version number [I am running latest: 8.511 (Build 3026.2680.418)] so we can verify that you are "on the same page"
2. post the editted file so we can verify you're on the right track

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

You cannot place a tab in a space that is shorter than the tab.

Convert the text to curves. Use the node edit tool to edit the text. Try deleting nodes that make unwanted squiggles.

Try this:
Covert text to curves. Make an extra copy on another layer. Then Fit Curves to Selected Vectors, Bezier Curves, try .005 Tolerance, Replace selected vectors. Watch what happens by zooming in with the node Edit tool.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Guys: I think that I have it now. I spent the last few hours redrawing most of my letters, ensuring there were no open and/or duplicate vectors, and using the node editing tool/scissors to eliminate the overlaps. Before, I was letting VCarve blend everything together. Worked easily most of the time, not so easy some of the time. Still have about 5 letters to redo, but it is 1:00 a.m. I am on my way to bed.

My sincere thanks to all who offered advice. I took it to heart and decided the best thing was to start over and use what I have learned on, and the suggestions from this forum and do it the correct way. Once again, you all have proven that CNC operators are a family.

I hope you all have a good night of rest and a good day on Friday.

Barry

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Good to hear that it's now sorted Barry, I've been using vector graphics as a signmaker with a vinyl plotter for years so had a distinct advantage over a lot of other people when I started cnc work.
One thing I have learnt over the years is that it is often best to just start again from scratch rather than try & fix an existing file, often takes less time than you thought it would & certainly a lot less frustrating :lol: :lol: :lol:

rod dobson
Model of CNC Machine: 5x5 custom

Post by rod dobson »

Barry I need your help 8036090920