toolpath list reordering on its own

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

toolpath list reordering on its own

Post by Zcases »

whenever I recalculate toolpaths, the toolpath list gets reordered. Is there a way to prevent this? I want to preserve the order I prescribe.....

thanks again
Scott

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

If I need to edit / modify a toolpath I just double click on the one I want to change in the toolpaths list, make the changes then click calculate..... the order always stays exactly as it was for me. But perhaps I have misunderstood your question?

Zcases
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Zcases »

That behaves the smae for me Og. But if I change the material for example, and go to "edit / recalculate all toolpaths".......thats where they get reordered.

Not a big deal, if you pay attention to it. Just seems like a minor bug maybe?

CNCDave
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Re: toolpath list reordering on its own

Post by CNCDave »

The issue here is for poor slobs like me that don't have auto tool changers. Here's the scenario: Create a drawing that cuts several pockets using a 90 degree v-bit with a 1/4" clearing bit and get a toolpath list something like:

Yin Pocket [Clear]
Yin Pocket
Yin Eye Pocket [Clear]
Yin Eye Pocket
Yang Inlay [Clear]
Yang Inlay

If I run this tool path in the order given, I'll change bits between my V-bit and my 1/4 downcut bit 5 times. If I manually change the order to:

Yin Pocket [Clear]
Yin Eye Pocket [Clear]
Yang Inlay [Clear]
Yin Pocket
Yin Eye Pocket
Yang Inlay

I only have to change the bit once.

This is a nice feature until I change any parameter of any of the tool paths and press either "Calculate" on the specific tool path, or worse yet, "Recalculate All Toolpaths", as it will reset the order to the original order shown at the top of this post. For this example, it's not too terrible. For the real 20+ toolpath combination I have for the project, it's a pain in the neck, and one that I've forgotten often enough to get stuck changing bits all day in the shop, much to the bemusement of my co-worker as he refers to me as "that outta control bit-changing fool" :)

Please show me the magical "Don't Change The Order Of My ToolPaths Once I've Set Them" option :)
-- or the "Oh here's the link to upgrade to 7.6 that includes that feature" :D

(BTW, VCarve Pro is #$@#!%ing fantastic -- it lets me do stuff I only dreamed of -- and more)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Presumably you're using manual tool change routines if you're saving all the tools to one file?

If you create two files (one for each tool) you could use the checkboxes (visibility) to control which toolpaths get put into each file.

The Clear and Pocket toolpaths are a special case in that they are logically one toolpath given the way they are edited. The software doesn't reorder other toolpaths.

HerbE
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by HerbE »

Dave....don't know if I'm on the same page as you, but in the toolpath list in lower right side, left mouse down on toolpath you wish to move and simply drag it to the order you wish. HTH....Herb :D

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi,
You've added to a post from over 6 years ago, we believe this was fixed in later versions so if you are still having problems with a current version could you send the file to support@vectric.com so we can take a look?

Thanks

Brian

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It still does it on the latest versions. Create a couple of pocket toolpaths with the clearance option set. Move the Clear ones next to each other and click recalculate. The order is changed back to the default.

CNCDave

Post by CNCDave »

BrianM wrote:Hi,
You've added to a post from over 6 years ago, we believe this was fixed in later versions so if you are still having problems with a current version could you send the file to support@vectric.com so we can take a look?

Thanks

Brian
File sent to support -- thx, Dave

CNCDave

Post by CNCDave »

HerbE wrote:Dave....don't know if I'm on the same page as you, but in the toolpath list in lower right side, left mouse down on toolpath you wish to move and simply drag it to the order you wish. HTH....Herb :D
Thank you Herb, that is a nice trick -- much more efficient than select and click on the arrows like I've been doing all this time!!!

(I'd still love to hear that they've made a change so that I can specify "leave my order alone you capricious tyrants!" :D )

Hispeed
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR34

Post by Hispeed »

Hello all,

This is an old topic, but it has apparently never been addressed. I'm having the same issue as CNCDave and Vectric never responded after he sent his file to Brian M (at least not in this post). Recalculating a toolpath changes the toolpath run order by placing the clearing and final passes back to back again. Is there a fix for this? I'm running the latest version of Vcarve Pro (ver 8.517).

Thanks!

Hispeed