VCarve Tutorial

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Hwyhobo
Model of CNC Machine: Piranah 3D

VCarve Tutorial

Post by Hwyhobo »

How about a good tutorial for creating drawings in VCarve. To try and figure out something from all the video on how to make the items represented is a tremendous waste of time. Getting the basics of creating the drawing and nomenclature down would be very helpful.

Having come from the world of mechanical drawing into CAD/CAM is a whole new step for many of us. A good example is how do you draw a square and then seperate the lines that need to be machined with a different tool. IE. 45 Vgrove for the sides. straight profile for the bottom and curve the top of the square in 1/2" at the center and put a 60 degree cut on it.

I have looked at most of the "tutorials " and have not found one that give me any idea of how to do something like this.

Seems like a great tool just need some guidance in how to create with it..

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: VCarve Tutorial

Post by IslaWW »

You might want to start with the Vectric Widget and then look at the Node Editing Tips and Tricks here: http://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tricks/select.php
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

As a veteran Manufacturing Engineer I am also an old CAD guy, and also a board designer/drafter. Started with CAD in 1987 and used a whole bunch of that stuff through the years. I have been AutoCAD, CadKEY, Unigraphics, ProE, Mechanical Desktop, and Solidworks. Been through as many CAM systems.

I will agree, Vectric is not a mechanical package and it is more artistically based. I have been using Vectric since 2007 and there is a definite learning curve to it. It is powerful in that it is vector based and uses node editing, which I am now actually liking.

Because it IS an artsy program and not mechanical - there is a different mindset to it. That takes a little getting used to.
Sometimes I prefer Vectric over Solidworks. Vectric is just downright better for certain things than Solidworks is.

Vectric does take a bit of a different approach in the training tutorials, but I can assure you - NOT - useless.

They take an approach to do projects and use the icons and commands in demonstration.

In a mechanical CAD tutorial the training may be a bit more focused on - "Now this is how the line function works". Vectric does not do it that way. But then again Artsy drawing does not care as much about Vector length and direction. We get used to seeing that stuff.

I would recommend a bit of patience and go through the basic tutorials. They are actually very good, but you need to study and do the project, rather than just watch the video like a movie. There will still be questions, but post those questions here in the forum. There are some VERY talented people here that can help. Remember, we are not Vectric Staff - just users like you. Of course Vectric Support is also there for the help.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

A good source of information if you need specific information about how a tool or toolpath works is the Help document. Just click on Help, Help Contents.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.