New Drag Knife

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CosmosK
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: multiple

Re: New Drag Knife

Post by CosmosK »

sounds, good. Send me an email at info@cosmos-industrial.com

I'm planning to order some gasket material, but would be happy to try out your material.

I expect you'll find with this device is that it is basically the same animal as the leading brand. I think my design is better in a couple respects and the price of course.
Pen Marking Tools from www.cosmos-industrial.com also>> CNC Drag Knife is back!

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

CosmosK wrote:sounds, good. Send me an email at info@cosmos-industrial.com

I'm planning to order some gasket material, but would be happy to try out your material.

I expect you'll find with this device is that it is basically the same animal as the leading brand. I think my design is better in a couple respects and the price of course.
email sent...

I like the looks and design of yours better than the others I've seen. I was going to attempt the design and build of my own because I didn't like what was out there. Yours is close to what I have in my head, and with your price, I'd probably be better off buying one from you if it cuts the rubber nicely & the need arises.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

Robert L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam

Post by Robert L »

How does it cut Naugahyde? have you tried? I cut .062 rubber and various colors of Naugahyde.

Robert

vfauto
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artsian 72"

Post by vfauto »

CosmosK wrote:Got a new one out.

About half the price of the leading brand and some cool features of it's own. Unique construction with single piece solid AL body, 2 double sealed bearing. It uses #19 Heavy Duty X-Acto blades which are the same thickness as utility blades (.025") and inexpensive (couple bucks for a 5 pk.). Blade change is easy and blade is located into position with dowels.

Cuts 1/8" material, offset is 3.0 (~1/8")

On my website: http://cosmos-industrial.com/index.php? ... ucts_id=20
You Tube:

Thanks for looking
Thank You
Frank

CosmosK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by CosmosK »

Robert L wrote:How does it cut Naugahyde? have you tried? I cut .062 rubber and various colors of Naugahyde.

Robert
I have not tried it. I think it would cut it. Basically, if you can cut it with a utility knife, you have a good chance of cutting it with a drag knife. That said, you can't overlook work holding. Rubber will be tricky to keep from sliding around. This stuff might be similar, but I suspect it would be easier to hold in place. I'll keep a look out for some to test on.

Robert L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam

Post by Robert L »

No problem holding the rubber or nauga. I could send you some samples to try. I am very interested in your drag knife.
Robert

CosmosK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by CosmosK »

send me an email at info@cosmos-industrial.com and I can tell you where to send it and I can try it out.

CosmosK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by CosmosK »

Here are some notes on programming the drag knife and some test photos

I was sent an image of a letter by a customer trying to get the drag knife going on small letters in thin vinyl. There had been some discussion of bearing drag, but I think the speed has more to do it at this point. The letter “E” was cut at 75IPM

I test cut a couple letters of the same size on a piece of paper (didn’t have any thin vinyl on hand).

You can see the letters “A” and “T” in the other two pictures. They came out pretty good for a 3mm offset tool. I do plan to come out with a 1.5mm offset tool soon (geared towards smaller work).

Programming notes:
The speed I ran was 12 IPM (1/6th the speed of the bad quality letter)
Cut depth was .13mm (.0051”)
Pivot depth was .12mm (.0047”)

I did some manual edits of the G code to remove the first pivot and the last pivot generated by Vectric’s Drag Knife Gadget. I noted the initial blade direction and set that manually before starting. With that, removing the first and last pivot eliminated some small damage the pivots do at the start and end.

So I think the main takeaway is for small details like letters, you must go slow. This allows the device time to pivot. Freeling up the bearing may help, but still, slower will give better results (if you already bought one, talk to me about making the bearings spin more free. New units will ship with this modification). The other takeaway is the Drag Knife Gadget in Vcarve is a good start, but isn’t perfect. It can be cleaned up doing some manual G code edits.

Attachments
AT.JPG
75 ipm.jpg

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

How does drag knife perform on wood veneers? If tests have been done, how was the veneer held down?
Thank you

CosmosK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by CosmosK »

It that like vinyl? I haven't used it before.

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

CosmosK wrote:It that like vinyl? I haven't used it before.
No, not like vinyl.

These are real wood either sliced or peeled from logs. Most common are 1/40 (.025) of an inch thick. For example Paul Schurch's work http://schurchwoodwork.com/ will give you an idea. The various wood veneers are cut then assembled into pictures, patterns etc. eventually attached to substrate. I'm looking for a drag knife that can effectively cut these very thin wood veneers. Due to the grain of wood it is challenging.

bobcef
Model of CNC Machine: None yet

Post by bobcef »

I'm considering this tool mainly for making small custom corrugated boxes. Material would be approx. from 1/8 to 3/16 thick. Has anyone tried to cut corrugated or making a box? Cosmos I noticed that the other expensive drag knife mentions breaking of the point on the blade because it will break anyway. Do you recommend this too?

CosmosK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by CosmosK »

I don't see why you'd need or want to break the tip, but I don't have a ton of experience. I will try some cardboard and report back.

bobcef
Model of CNC Machine: None yet

Post by bobcef »

CosmosK wrote:I don't see why you'd need or want to break the tip, but I don't have a ton of experience. I will try some cardboard and report back.
Well they claim that the tip is very fragile and will break anyway

CosmosK
Vectric Craftsman

Post by CosmosK »

Ran some 1/16" rubber gasket material today. Easy. Tomorrow, I'd do some thick cardboard.