CNC Router Vise Plans

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

CNC Router Vise Plans

Post by TReischl »

I have stopped building the vise. To be frank, it was getting to be too much like work! That is what happens to us retired folks.

The vise is really useful, I use mine all the time.

I double and triple checked the plans, tidied them up a bit and have created a PDF file. These are fully detailed plans with dimensions.

You can see what the vise looks like by going to the website http://rockrivertools.com/. There are lots of videos and other information available there.

If you have a need to cut parts to size on a table and then do other work with the cnc, the vise is perfect. I have three that I attach to my table to allow work on longer parts. So if you decide to build, you might consider building several while you are at it.

Since I really dislike people who attempt to use forums as their personal marketing tool, this will be the only post I make.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

jib2
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna CNC

Re: CNC Router Vise Plans

Post by jib2 »

Very interesting videos. I can see how the vice can be very useful but I can not seem to locate your material for download on your website. Are the plans available for free or for sale if so where can they be located. Also, will they work with Vcarve Pro 8 as I do not have Aspire.

Thanks,

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Go to the "Store" section of his website.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Jib, as Ger said, the plans are in the Store section.

They are not free. But, they are a mere pittance! :D

jib2
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna CNC

Post by jib2 »

Thanks, I guess I did not review the site good enough to see the link to the store that was very obvious. Not sure if I'm going to purchase the plans or not have to find out where I can get a good cheap Acme screw and nut first. I can however see where a couple of these vice would make clamping a much easier and quicker process.

I'm always searching for good manageable clamping ideas or systems for various parts. Would like to find some great ideas on sheet goods.

Thanks again,
JIB2

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

If you're in the US, McMaster Carr has the acme components you need. Also check Ebay.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

When I orginally designed the vise the price for left hand threaded parts was sort of crazy.

I just looked at McMaster again and the prices seem to be much better. The reason I bring this up is because if you are clamping against the back jaw left hand threads make more sense. If you use the front jaw, the right hand works better.
m1.JPG
m2.JPG
http://www.mcmaster.com/#acme-threaded-rods/=11826xs

BTW, a 12 inch length will work fine, if you use jaw inserts, but if you are going to clamp directly between the jaws, make sure you use 14 inch lengths.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Announcement:

A forum is now available to ask questions, get help, etc at:

http://www.rockrivertools.com/forum

The forum can also be accessed from the rockrivertools.com website.

The idea behind it is to get vise questions off the Vectric forum. I want to thank the Vectric team for all they have done!

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

While browsing on Lumberjocks.com I came across an angled vice plan that could be a useful adaptation to the CNC vice.

Phil

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Phil wrote:While browsing on Lumberjocks.com I came across an angled vice plan that could be a useful adaptation to the CNC vice.

Phil
That is a nice design! I was hoping that is was an "angled" vise that used a shallow angle to keep the jaws from "bridging" but unfortunately not.

It is a little tall for most CNC machines but that could be modified pretty easily since there is no requirement for a big honking bolt which tends to make everything "grow" around it, like washers and nuts.

I have been thinking about building another style that would accommodate sheet material. The only issue I have is that if too much clamping force is applied it will tend to bow the material. So maybe some angled jaws?

It is amazing how much I use the ones on the machine nowadays. Recently did all the joinery work (mortise and tenon) for two bath vanities and medicine cabinets. The door were all louvered which made for a ton of mortises.

I modified my machine a couple of years ago so that I can cut a few inches off the front edge of the table and then built a fixture so I can do tenons on pieces up to 36 inches long. That works real well too.

Enjoyed watching that video! Guys, if you have the time, build yourself a vise if you are doing small parts. It will save tons of time and lots of material.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Either way, angled or not, the design makes a great drill press vise too.

Phil

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I often need to clamp small parts on my CNC, and have been using a drill press vise when I could. It is pretty tall though and so over this holiday break (from University classes) I drew up and made a simple thin profile vise that can be mostly cut on a CNC. Less than 1" tall, with .5" high jaws it so far only suffers from slightly slippery jaw faces. I've got some leather scraps I may glue to them, or may look for some friction tape to face the jaws with. The base is 1/2" (12mm) baltic birch plywood. The vise jaws and back plate are 3/4" (18mm) baltic birch. The front jaw and push plate sink 1/4" into the base plate. I used a scrap of 3/16" thick plywood for the sliding jaw guide. One mistake I made on this first prototype was to put the upper bolt hole too close to the clamped part zone. I've corrected that in the drawings. The size and bolt hole spacing is to fit in my t-track slots with 4.5" between slot centers. All parts are screwed down from the bottom. I added a 5/16" vertical metal rod in the sliding jaw for the 3/8-16 all thread to push against. I turn the vise with a wrench on two nuts wedged together. Seem to work well as is, and will hold better with more friction on the jaw faces.
Thin Vise1_4D.jpg
Thin Vise2_4D.jpg
Thin Vise Bottom_4D.jpg
Enjoy!
4D
Attachments
Thin Vise Parts.crv
(359 KiB) Downloaded 627 times

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Just glue some 80 grit sandpaper to the face of the vice jaws. Works wonderfully on my clamp plates and have never had a slip.
Thanks for sharing the files.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

dwilli9013 wrote:Just glue some 80 grit sandpaper to the face of the vice jaws. Works wonderfully on my clamp plates and have never had a slip.
Thanks for sharing the files.
Simple solutions are always the best. Sandpaper I have on hand. Thanks.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I have a couple of thoughts that I haven't tried yet. Instead of using a typical screw thread for the moveable jaw build it with a sliding jaw and lock it in place with bolts with wing nuts and either an opposing wedge or a cam clamp to hold the workpiece secure. This is mainly a food for thought at this point. Hope the description is adequate.
I have used both wedges and cam clamps to hold parts but not in a vise.

Phil