help using leads

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dave60

help using leads

Post by dave60 »

I'm using leads for the first time. Should I expect to see the leads in the preview?
Thanks.
Dave
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: help using leads

Post by Adrian »

Yes you should, both in the 2D and 3D but depending on where they've been laid out most of them could be removed as the rest of the toolpath runs. Should be apparent where they are in the 2D preview.

dave60

Post by dave60 »

I must be missing something. I don't see the leads. I'm trying to cut the end grain of this piece before the other two sides. Figured leads would be a good thing. Please set me straight on this.

Dave
Attachments
Leads.crv
(188.5 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Dave

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi Dave,

Leads are created outside the profile you're cutting, as you don't want to cut inside your job.

You are machining along simple lines. How can Vcarve know what is the right side to apply leads? As it's ambiguous, it doesn't add them.

Draw a rectangle around your design, and recalculate your toolpath after selecting the rectangle instead of the lines. You'll see the leads.

For single lines, use ramps to plunge smoothly in the material.

Personally, I never use leads, always ramps. If someone noticed situations where leads have advantages on ramps, I'd be happy to have their feedback. TIA

HTH
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

With leads, plunge moves can occur off part, specially useful for machining aluminum. The lead can start off material or in a waste area.. that's the way I use anyway
I think the SPalm jewelry box may have been the first thing I experienced leads as he included with the tool paths, they did eliminate chatter plunge marks in hardwood..... likewise, I use ramps often for wood and plastics, same reasons....

dave60

Post by dave60 »

Understood. I normally use ramps but thought maybe leads would work on this project. Thanks for the info guys.

Dave
Dave