VCP for PCB

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Patm
Vectric Apprentice

VCP for PCB

Post by Patm »

I'm working on a primer video for folks that want to make PCBs on their machines but haven't any idea where to start. I use Diptrace to make the circuits and output edge DXFs to get the outlines of the traces and the drill map then import into Visual Mill to create the MOPs.

Since many folks don't own VM I was also looking at other software for creating the GCode and VCP popped into my head.

I loaded up the artwork and selected all vectors then created a profile toolpath with 0.004" cutting depth and my .0625 diameter Vbit (Think and Tinker) and hit preview. Worked perfect!

In VMill, if I have redundant vectors it simply won't let me create the toolpath. I have to hunt them down and delete them first. Diptrace has a habit of doubling up parts of some trace outlines so I've become quite accomplished at spotting them in VM. VCP, on the other hand, conveniently ignored them and created the paths anyway: thats a time saver! Of course, the proper thing to do is hunt them down and terminate the blighters so I used Edit->Select all open vectors to find them. I know of no equivilent selection tool in VM (might be, but I haven't found it yet).

Drilling was harder in VCP though. VM has a hole selection tool that lets you type in radius ranges or click on circles to get their radii(?). Makes fast work of choosing the 30 0.026" holes in amongst the 0.031 and 0.04 mess.

The other place where VM has the advantage is with the design origin. When exporting DXFs from Diptrace I make the bottom left mounting hole the design origin. When I export the bottom layer I make the bottom right the origin then mirror the export. When milling, the two origins are in exactly the same place and I can use a drill bit shank to perfectly line up the board when I flip it over to route the bottom.

VM leaves the origin's intact (though you can move them if you want) while VCP resets the origin to the material instead of the artwork. Now, in most cases this makes no difference at all since the holes will still line up and the routes will be in the right places but I can't help but think this make things difficult in some circumstances. I tried using origin offsets but then the artwork overhangs the material and part of the toolpath is in open air in the preview.

So, if folks don't have VM then VCP is a very viable alternative for routing PCBs just as it is (and cheaper!)

Without changing the focus of VCP I would suggest the following enhancements for PCB makers.

1) Select All Open Vectors highlights the open vector but it is still quite difficult to see them. Add a highlight of the starting node like when they are part of a toolpath, that would make them simple to spot and terminate (good for everyone really, but more suited to Diptrace users)

2) Add a circle seletion tool that uses supplied radius/diameter to select holes matching the supplied criteria. Again, handy for everyone but I don't think folks using VCarve for the more traditional uses have all that many holes to select.

3) Add more options for origins.

Of the three, #2 would be the most useful: 5 on a scale of 1-10 with the other two being about a 2 on a scale of 1-10 importance. All are of the "Would be nice" ilk since VCP is already quite capable of producing PCBs with little work.

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: VCP for PCB

Post by CRFultz »

Patm wrote:
1) Select All Open Vectors highlights the open vector but it is still quite difficult to see them. Add a highlight of the starting node like when they are part of a toolpath, that would make them simple to spot and terminate (good for everyone really, but more suited to Diptrace users)

Those small hidden "open" vectors can easily be identified by moving them or scaling 'em.
Since they are already selected you can click move and the "handles" will appear. Now you deal with them however you choose.

thanks for the informative post...something I'm interested in lately :wink:

Chuck