offset

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

offset

Post by brockadeau »

Tony-- Can you help me with offsetting lines in vcarve?? When I select a vector and the clip on offset, nothing happens. also a clarification on resetting the defaults that load up (like offset dimensions in material size). I couldn't follow the explaination you gave previously. Some of us are not IT professionals-- or even close-- 8) Jack

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi brockadeau
When you offset do you enter a number in the distance box?
Dan

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

offset

Post by brockadeau »

The problem is, no box comes up nothing happens at all-- Jack

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Jack,

1. Offsetting - Are you saying that the Offset form never appears or is this a random problem?
For example, if you open the sample files - Open Sign, Bulls Head etc. can you then ofset any of the vectors?

Or are you refering to the Offset section on the Material form?
Clicking the offset option on the Material form and entering X = 6, Y = 6 will move the origin (ie the botom left corner or the middle point on the job to be positioned at X 6, Y 6.

You will see that the material box shown in the 2D view is moved away from the vertical and horizontal lines that represent the X0 and Y0 axes.

Clicking the Offset and leaving X =0, Y = 0 will simply leave the job with the origin (bottom left corner or middle point) at X0, Y0 - So you will not see anything different on the screen.

2. Defaults - The previously used dimensions and offset values + directions are loaded as the default settings the next time a new file or whenever any of the forms are used.

Hope this all makes sense?

Tony

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

offsetting

Post by brockadeau »

Tony-- First reguarding material offset, is there a way I can change the material offset to alway come up x0 y0 as a default setting?? I see that onec I have changed it for a particular drawing it will stay there if I reopen it, but can I get the settings, thickness and x y origin to default to a particular setting??

second-- when I select a vector and clip on the offset icon, a sqare box around it turns orange, but nothing else happens. doesn't matter whether i click on a line first, or the icon first, nothing happens-- can't seem to be able to offset to establish a new outline to cut the part out on-- Jack

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

offsetting

Post by brockadeau »

No it does not work with your sample files either

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Brockadeau, You're talking about the Offset icon in the Edit Vectors box right? When you click it you don't get a new box below the edit vectors box (see attached image)? Or am I talking about something totally different?
Attachments
offset.jpg
(123.8 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

lack of anything at click of offset

Post by brockadeau »

Jay and Tony-- When I click on the offset icon, box, thingy--NOTHING happens. I do not get another box opening with offset dimensions-- I GET NOTHING!!!!!!!!!, NADA, ZILCH, ZERO, NO ACTION, ZIPPO, LACK OF ANYTHING, FAILURE TO CONTINUE, NO OTHER BOXES, THE PROGRAM DOES NOT RESPOND, I CANNOT OFFSET.-- jACK

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Are you running the demo version or the real deal. Either way I it should work but just thought I'd ask. This next question please don't take any offence to but I gotta ask. It's not something silly like your screen rez is too small and you need to scroll down to see it? I know it's not that but I thought I'd ask, again please forgive me for asking, but I just thought I'd check.

When you hit other buttons in the edit vectors box do they do things? What version of operating system are you running? Have you tried reinstalling the software?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

offset

Post by brockadeau »

Jay- The rest of the buttons work, I can pick vectors, scale them, move them, delete them, I just can't offset. I have the program loaded here and at home, the only difference is that the box that comes up around the icon is blue here, and orange at thome, but nothing else happens. I am using V 2.0. I can't redownload at work because I'm on a 28.8 modem and it doesn't download very well. I'm on DSL at home and can dowmload quickly and accurately. Maybe Tony could resend the link and I'll retry it again tonight. Didn't know if this was a common problem, or a default setting issue I might be able to fix. Just frustrated because I'm carving great stuff, but I can't cut it out correctly (rectangles I can doo on my saw). Love the program though. Just wish it were easier converting files without open vectors (I still get them after closeing the vectors with a .1 resolution sometimes. Alos having problems importing eps and ai files lots of the time-- says it cant read the file or something like that. -- Jack

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Well I'm out of ideas. Seems odd that the buttons different colors, but that might not mean anything.

As for program defaults I know that a few people have put this in a request for this to be a new feature for the next release. For example I always have the tool start from the center of the work piece with no offset. It would be nice if I didn't have to pick that for each new file. It's not a huge deal but I've forgotten to do it a few times....

I will say that this is one of the only companies I've bought something from where they actually listen to the users. I'm sure Tony and Brian will get the bottom of your problem.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Jack,

Sorry for the delay in replying, we have been travelling to a show in the U.S and have had problems with wireless access. I have replied to your email with the download link and some questions about your setup.
Alos having problems importing eps and ai files lots of the time-- says it cant read the file or something like that
Can you send us an example file which you are having problems with along with details of the system generating the files? There are many versions of .AI files, so it is usually more reliable to use .EPS files if you have a choice.
(I still get them after closeing the vectors with a .1 resolution sometimes
If the vectors dont close with a resolution of .1, you presumably have files with true single line vectors. The automatic closing is for files with vectors that describe closed shapes but for whatever reason have been exported as a series of independent line segments. Using a tolerance of .1 is likely to join vectors which were never intended to be joined. Generally you should start with a small tolerance and increase it slowly untill the vectors are joined. To identify the open vectors used Edit- Select Open Vectors. If you still believe you have a file with open vectors which should automatically rejoin can you send us the file so we can take a look?

Regards

Brian

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

got to maximize screen

Post by brockadeau »

Thanks to all who tried to help-- but the answer was right in front of me all the time-- I was not maximizing the vcarve screen, so the offset box was actually coming up when the icon was clicked, but it was out of view. When I maximized the screen- they she was-- shame on me-- Jack