Bit Map Tracing

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jamin35008
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Lead 1010

Re: Bit Map Tracing

Post by jamin35008 »

Thanks guys. I will check both of those out.

Question though.....By using the center line trace how will vcarve recognize that? Does the center line trace just create one vector in the middle of a large line? So if the line is 1/4 in wide it will create one line 1/8 in from both sides?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It will just create a series of open vector lines in the middle of the thicker line that you would then need to cut using a profile toolpath set to be on the line.

One of the reasons why VCarve uses the "double" line style of tracing is that it works perfectly with the v-carve toolpath.

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

I'm wanting to use a v-carve to carve the roads but every time I preview its carving everything outside of the roads and not the roads themselves if that makes sense. I'm not sure how to change the setting so it takes everything out inside the road and leaves the rest.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

jamin35008 wrote:I'm wanting to use a v-carve to carve the roads but every time I preview its carving everything outside of the roads and not the roads themselves if that makes sense. I'm not sure how to change the setting so it takes everything out inside the road and leaves the rest.
All depends on which vectors you have selected when you create the toolpath. As an exercise try drawing three rectangles one inside the other. Now create a v-carve toolpath with all three selected, two selected and just one selected. See the difference? That's what you need to play around with to get the effect you need.

Most often you would need to place a vector around everything and select that with the other vectors to change the cuts from "in" to "out". Depending on the job and look that outer vector can be as simple rectangle or a complex shape created by offsetting the other vectors.

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

Thanks Adrian. I will work on that tonight. I appreciate the information!