VCarve looks like Artcam ?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Hello

VCarve looks like Artcam ?

Post by Hello »

Just out of interest is there some relationship with Delcam and Vectric?

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi,
There is no commercial relationship between Delcam and Vectric. I previously worked at Delcam where I was the original developer of ArtCAM, and managed ArtCAM development until relatively recently. I suppose it is inevitable that there are some superficial similarities between the two programs, in the same way two books by the same author are easily identifiable. However, a closer examination of the two products would reveal way more differences than similarities. In particular, ArtCAM’s user interface is entirely HTML based whereas ours does not use HTML at all. The core underlying machining algorithms and drawing engine are also completely different.

With regard to functionality, the two products also address very different requirements. ArtCAM offers a complete range of tools for 2d to full 3d relief modelling and machining. If someone has a requirement for 3d relief modelling, I believe there is no better product available than ArtCAM Pro. Although both ArtCAM and VCarve Wizard offer V Carving capabilities, this is a relatively small part of the overall capabilities of ArtCAM Pro, whereas it is just about all of ours :). However our pricing reflects this, and for many users who just want to add decorative v-carving to their products and often already have other software to do their general 2d machining, I believe that VCarve Wizard is the ideal solution.

EDIT: VCarve Wizard V2 also offers 2D pocketing, profiling and machinine along a vector capabilities as well as flat bottom engraving and support for multiple tools, so the statement above "whereas it is just about all of ours " is no longer true!

Regards

Brian