Importing tools into tool database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bullhead
Model of CNC Machine: shark

Importing tools into tool database

Post by bullhead »

I have been trying to import the roundover tools that Tmerrill posted a while back. These were used in the tile tutorial. I cannot get them to import into the tool data base. I unzipped the file, I use vcarve pro 6.5. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong. I've been at it for two days on and off and am getting frustrated.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Importing tools into tool database

Post by tmerrill »

Be sure you are opening the tool database and using the Import function from there.

As a second approach, download the file below and remove the '.txt' extension as it was only to upload the file to the forum. Then try that one.

Tim
Attachments
Roundover bits.tool.txt
(14.71 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

bullhead
Model of CNC Machine: shark

Post by bullhead »

Worked with the new file. Thanks for your swift response and as always you are so helpful. I along with many others on this forum are truely fortunate to have you as a resource.

Thanks again!

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

I'm happy it worked for you and always happy to help.

I found the thread where these were posted a while back and the disclaimer I made then is still valid:

"The attached tool file contains all the pointed roundover bits made by Whiteside, which are the ones I have. You can import them into your tool database, but they are not 100% accurate in that I modeled them to come to an exact point, which they don't - there is a small flat center region which I just compensate for using an allowance offset in the toolpath. So, use at your own risk."

If I remember correctly the offset I used for the User Group samples was ~ 0.01". Best to run a sample first in scrap material if the edge will be critical.

The file also contains their plunge roundover bits which can be used to give you even more options for an edge or groove profile.

Tim