Need help doing my first real sign.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Brian U

Need help doing my first real sign.

Post by Brian U »

I've got a sign which is approx. 2' x 3'. I'm using precision board. I'm using v-pocket follwed by a vbit. It only allows me to use two bits one for roughing and the vbit. Is there a way to be able to use more than one roughing tool (1/2,1/4,1/8) beofore the vbit? This would save a lot of time. Right now I'm using a 1/8 and a 60 deg. vbit. Also what should I be running these bits at (feed rate) in precision board? Thanks Brian :?:

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

it would have been nice to have an intermediate end mill stage but
try experimenting with a large end mill at some point there will be an optimal combo for the job

Brian U

Post by Brian U »

Thanks Weeme.
I'll try doing that.
Also where would I find a list of recommended feeds & speeds for precision board (HDU)?
Should I just call the manufacture?

Thanks
Brian

Markm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Markm »

How many flutes on your mill end with 2 you should be able to run as fast as 500 IPM and about 15000 RPM depending also on the depth of your cut. It cuts very fast and easy. I usally do not v carve faster then 300 but all that demends on you machine and bit type.

Mark M

Brian U

Post by Brian U »

Yes, I'm using a 2 flute upspiral 1/4 end mill then a 2 flute 60 degree vbit. My total depth will be .250".
I'm running it on a shopbot (stepper motors) with a portcable router.
Should I still run it at the those feeds & speeds?

Thanks for the info. This is the first time I'm attempting to cut sign in presion board.

Thank you.
Brian