Converting paper plans to dxf

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
kevinl
Vectric Craftsman

Converting paper plans to dxf

Post by kevinl »

A friend of mine just come in with some paper plans he bought for a kyack (sp?) wanting to know if I could cut them with the router. Anyone know of a better way to convert them other than getting out the ol drafting equipment ? He is going to donate the finished product to a raffle at church but said I could make one for myself if I could convert the plans and cut one for him. Any ideas?

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

If you can scan them into the computer you should be able to use something like Inkscape to convert it to vectors and then use those to make the parts.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

kevinl
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kevinl »

Yea thought about that. I only have a small desktop scanner. Is there such a monster that will scan a 36inch by 16 foot piece of paper?

joecnc2006
Vectric Wizard

Post by joecnc2006 »

Kinco's or other printing shops have large format scanners.

James E
Vectric Craftsman

Post by James E »

HI Kevinl
I used a digital camera for a similar job, although it was only 5 ft long.
I guess for a longer job I would make sure there were some horizontal lines in the pic and then stitch them together in a photo editor. Try to take the pics dead square, and check measure some parts.
On the other hand, if you are making one, I would guess its easier to work straight from the plans, two is marginal, but you would have the files for when your mates say 'I want one I want one', and at that point you're into profit - time wise. (Kayak)

Jim