Shop made Color Core

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Phil
Vectric Wizard

Shop made Color Core

Post by Phil »

Many of the carvngs we do require coloring of the carved area while maintaining the the color or wood grain of the original material. I had a thought that if a veneer were glued to a substrate of a solid color that the finishing process would be simplified. What materials would make for a suitable substrate?
I have some ideas but I'm sure there are more.
My suggestions:
1. Colored MDF http://www.greatlakesmdf.com/news.php
2. Solid surface materials like Corian
What other materials could we use?

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

I have used sheets of PVC plastic ( Sintra or Celtec are the brand names in my area). They come in the common thicknesses. I haven't seen them any thicker than 2" though. I've never attempted to glue laminant to these sheets. I've only glued pvc to pvc.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

BradyWatson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BradyWatson »

Gluing SIntra/Komatex/Celtec to one another is a nightmare...Valchromat (colored MDF) is probably the easiest way to do a DIY colorecore...but then again, buying actual ColorCore is the path of least resistance. You may want to experiment with different hardwoods that are glued/laminated together that have contrast.

-B
High Definition 3D Laser Scanning www.IBILD.com

Markm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Markm »

I did get some samples from great lakes and it is pretty cool stuff but you still have the issue with having to finish MDF. I put 6 coats of our regular laquar on it and it was stll soaking it up. The shalec would have been better but then I have to break out the can and brush. The rep from my area said that the peice that they sent me that was finished looking was UV Coated and that looked OK but I have not yet learned about UV Coating So you will require lots of sealer.

Mark M

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi Phil
I have been doing just that for a while now. I laminate maple on to cherry and walnut solid wood. I received some samples of Great Lakes color MDF, they veneered and cut nice. The only thing harder than finishing the color MDF ( it sucks up finish as fast as you can put it on ) is buying it. I still can’t find a place here that sells it.
Dan
Attachments
Favor.jpg