Pocket Toolpath using Raster; bug or feature

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bbiehl
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick II 3x5; Aspire 11.5

Pocket Toolpath using Raster; bug or feature

Post by bbiehl »

I am using the Pocket Toolpath large area clearance tool in the Raster climb mode. Raster Angle = 0 degrees. I am using a 1/4" straight bit with overlap set to 50%. In the -X direction there is the correct 50% overlap, however in the +X direction I am getting a 100% overlap (which leaves long pieces of wood chunks. I am using VCarve Pro 6.5 & Mach 3 control software. Is this normal?

-brian

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Pocket Toolpath using Raster; bug or feature

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Brian,

What you describe is not normal for VCP/Aspire and I cannot speak to Mach3 as I'm not a user. After doing a quick example to match what I think you are doing, I also cannot duplicate in VCP/Aspire what you are seeing.

Perhaps the quickest way to narrow it down is to look at the toolpath in the 2D and 3D windows. In particular look at the blue lines in the 3D window as this represents where the bottom center of the bit will be traveling. If yours looks like the picture below, with equal spacing across the entire pocket, then I would eliminate the software and start looking at your machine and/or Mach3 settings. If your blue lines are not equally spaced, then a closer look at the program output is required.

If you can post the file here (nothing in the design that is copyright protected) that would allow us to take a close look at it to be sure. If it does have design elements that cannot be posted, or you don't want to post it for other reasons, please consider emailing it to support@vectric.com and the support staff will take a close look at it for you.

Let us know.

Tim
Attachments
Pocket raster.JPG

bbiehl
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick II 3x5; Aspire 11.5

Re: Pocket Toolpath using Raster; bug or feature

Post by bbiehl »

Tim,
Looking at the spacing in the 2d & 3d previews they do not look uniform, but it could be an optical illusion since they are close together. I will email you the crv & txt files.

-brian