Help in cutting error. Error or fluke?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Fred1030
Model of CNC Machine: cnc shark

Help in cutting error. Error or fluke?

Post by Fred1030 »

I need help or some sort of answer to my problem. I ran a rough cut for 2 hours (aprox.) then ran a finish cut on an indian head for another 4 hours (aprox.) 20 minutes before the finish cut ended my ball nose bit made a gouge into the part I was cutting. I downloaded the file from Cut 3D as I have with other projects but this is a first for me.
Can I prevent this from happening again?
Is this a fluke?
What would be the best way to try and repair the cut project?
I don't want to try to recut a 6 hour cut job unless I absolutely have to. I am going to attempt to attach a picture of the problem.
Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
you can see the error in the feathers
you can see the error in the feathers

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Re: Help in cutting error. Error or fluke?

Post by kilrabit »

To me it appears to be mechanical. If your could list your machine type and controller software?

Could be on a long job wlith large Z movement, your z axis bearing got warm and seized temporarily, or a piece of something got into the bearing and caused a temporary seizure.

Have you had any other troubles with a long job?

Roy

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

2 things that come to mind:

1. Not sure when you stopped this program - is it possible your bit slipped a little bit? If the program continued after this kind of problem then you should have seen deeper cuts from then on, so not sure this is the problem, but I have seen gouges like that when the bit slipped out of the collet a little.

2. What was your CV setting, and did it do a fast move when the gouge occurred (sometimes Vectric generates g-code that quickly moves to "clean up" an area away from where the main carving is happening). In Mach, I've seen it occasionally gouge like this when CV tries to "cut the corner" during a fast move. There is a setting on the general configuration screen to turn off CV on angles greater than a defined amount that seems to reduce this behavior.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Fred1030
Model of CNC Machine: cnc shark

Post by Fred1030 »

This is a first for me. I am running a Shark machine.
In reply to the last response, I have had my bit loosen up on a job before and yes it did continue to gouge for quite a while before I checked on the job. You sure learn in a hurry. But this time I don't think that was the same problem. After the last time my bit loosened up on a job I have made sure to tighten them up extra tight.