Slow network for the forum.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Slow network for the forum.

Post by jimwill2 »

I love this forum and check it several times a day, the information and education I have found here is priceless. The network runs very slow and I wonder if you are victims of you own success? Are there plans to update your servers anytime soon?

Please don't take this as criticism... just wondering.
Jim Williams

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Re: Slow network for the forum.

Post by Burchtree »

Hi
It must be something on your end. The forum responds fast for me.
Dan
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

A few times I have also seen this forum quite slow. I checked other sites at the same time and the response from them was fast as usual. I have a 10 M bits/sec feed and usually get at least 8 M bits/sec.

Paul Z

olf20
Vectric Wizard

Post by olf20 »

Forum slow for me also. Has been for a couple of months.
olf20 / Bob

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx HS1

Post by lovebugjunkie »

I have not really been keeping track but I cannot remember the Vectric forum being slow enough that I noticed it. I tend to notice when sites and downloads are slow since my ISP upgraded and I'm getting over 20mb/s on the downlink.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I could only get the slower dsl connection from Qwest, so I changed to Sprint 4G, which was supposed to be 5 times faster, but in reality, most of the time it seems like I'm on "dial-up". Everything is slow with this connection. Needless to say, I got hosed with the two-year contract with Sprint.

Mike E
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mike E »

Thats wierd, this forum is one of the fastest one for me.-Cable modem

Mike
Mike E
CuttingandCarving.com

lazaffair
Vectric Apprentice

Post by lazaffair »

Well this is an interesting problem that perplexed me until the Centurytel boys came out to test my lines. I pay for 10 Mbs, but wasn't getting anywhere near that when using the ready to use test sites. My education was that your speed is measured from your house(node) to the reference node for your provider. In my case it is in Renton WA about thirty miles from my home in Fox Island WA. The speed measured was 12.5 Mbs. When you go outside your providers trunklines and have to rely on other systems is where all the slowdowns come in. Not necessarily at the point of the originating server (Vectric). When I measure using Speakeasy, here are the speeds from my house. Seattle(40 miles but not Centurytel) 8.1 Mbs SF 3.2 LA 2.26 Chicago 1.49 NYC 1.11 Wash DC 1.10 Atlanta 0.90 There is software to measure what the transit times to and from each node the data passes thru, unfortunately you don't have any control on how your request for info is routed. Problem is only compounded when travelling outside the US.

Jerre
2x5 CNC router, Taig CNC Mill & Lathe, Epilog32 Laser, Tajima M Emb, Jaguar II Vinyl, NH T1510

COBOB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by COBOB »

This site is extremely fast for me, on cable. Jerre hit the nail on the head though. It is all the servers you may be routed thru to get here. Some of them may slow, some just overloaded at times. Holds true for any web site. Ping the site and see what you get. Ping times are very revealing. Ping Yahoo. You won't see any slow speeds there. It is always a good measure to see if there is something slow in your own computer also.

lazaffair
Vectric Apprentice

Post by lazaffair »

If you want to test your connection to the Vectric server here is a link to some free 15 day trial software that will show you all the hops from your computer to Vectric with ping times and comments. I have no connection with this company. The software just works. There may be some Freeware programs like this.

http://www.visualroute.com/download.html

Jerre
2x5 CNC router, Taig CNC Mill & Lathe, Epilog32 Laser, Tajima M Emb, Jaguar II Vinyl, NH T1510

lazaffair
Vectric Apprentice

Post by lazaffair »

If you want the ultimate in free and are using Windows use TRACEROUTE in the Command prompt ie. traceroute www.vectric.com It will give you the routing nodes and ping times. Not as pretty as Visual Route though.

Jerre

lazaffair
Vectric Apprentice

Post by lazaffair »

Sorry, TRACEROUTE on the command line is tracert www.vectric.com

Jerre

dr_when
Vectric Wizard

Post by dr_when »

I access the forum daily, often quite a few times. Never have noticed any issues regarding speed. They really aren't doing anything that has any overhead.
Bob

"He's no fun, he fell right over" - Firesign Theatre