How would I cut a file that is larger than my y-axis?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
alanctot
Model of CNC Machine: General

How would I cut a file that is larger than my y-axis?

Post by alanctot »

Hello,
This is my first time posting on any forum. I've been reading this one for over a year and have learned many things from other peoples questions. I haven't seen this questions asked yet so I'm forced out of my comfort zone.
I have a General CNC router with a 48"x 96" table. I am trying to build a set of stairs with housed stringers. The stringer will end up being 112" and my y-axis limit is 96". The V Carve software accepts the material dimensions (1.5"x 9.25"x 112"). I am using the pocketing tool path for the treads and risers and the profile tool path to cut the stringer to size. How can I run half or three quarters of the file and then stop it to reposition the stock.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Al

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Re: How would I cut a file that is larger than my y-axis?

Post by GripUs »

Hi Al,
Welcome to the board! This is a question that has been asked since the dawn of time. Well...at least since the first CNC machine.

Check here. This should get you started in the right direction.

Good luck with your project. Be sure to post some pictures when finished.

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: How would I cut a file that is larger than my y-axis?

Post by tmerrill »

Al,

Take a look at Toolpath Tiling. It will automate what you are trying to do. You can find a tutorial on it here, which would be a good place to start:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... _mach.html

Tim

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: How would I cut a file that is longer than my y-axis limit?

Post by gravirozo »

hi

i think, you can place between two rails... like 2x4s... and after cutting the first 5-6 or eigth opening, you need to slide between these tracks...
and with the routerbit (sended to known position) align your board..

the most important, to keeping your workpiece on y axis same position, so the repositioning, happen only on x direction... the routerbit going on same geometry in each pocket, so after you cut the first 5, you send your bit on the first pocket, but the stringer already slided back between tracks to the last cutted of 5...
so from here you can start to cut the next pockets...

i made only one project this way a plate with text...

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: How would I cut a file that is longer than my y-axis limit?

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Al,
Just to add to what Viktor has posted as a reply to your question, if you have a material blank that is large enough you can drill index holes in the material at locations where it will not be part of the finished part. Draw the part in VcarvePro the same way you will process it through your machine. Figure out how many times you will want to reposition the material to enable working within your machine travels. From the size of your machine travel and the overall length I would think you could divide it in half and do it in 1 reposition, but sometimes it is easier to divide the overall by an equal number of the features on the part. You may want to begin and end the cutting at a similar point or feature so you will have to decide what will work best for your circumstance. Once you have made a decision about how many sections you will cut, I would recommend dividing the drawn part into the number you want and I usually use a rectangle as a bounding box to enclose all of the vectors and area I will process for each section on the drawing. This way it is easy to divide the vectors into sections so you can create toolpaths for each section. In each section you can locate the index hole you will use to gauge the material in the Y direction with and make sure to drill the index hole for the next section prior to repositioning the material to cut that section.
I have seen where some people simply mark the material with an index mark and locate it to a secure pointer etc., but I think for a more precise result you will be better off using a way to index the material with the CNC machine like I mention above drilling index holes etc. Once you have done this a few times it becomes more of a routine but it is a bit scary even then. The Vectric software helps a lot making it very easy to manipulate the vectors, and the new version 6 VcarvePro has a toolpath tiling utility that does most of the work for you with different options. Also you can create the toolpaths and view the preview and actually see how the material will be processed so if you happen to overlook something or make an error you have a chance to correct it before committing to cutting the part.
Sorry for the long post, but I hope it somehow helps.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake