Inkscape Help?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Inkscape Help?

Postby TReischl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:03 am

This is weird, I downloaded inkscape last week, it came up running, I used it for quite a few files. So far, so good. Then yesterday, I start it up and a window pops up telling me it needs a disc in the disc drive. So I am thinking, ok, I put a CD in the CD drive cause I was using one of those to read in some files before I shut it down. It gives me the message twice, then comes up and running. It was doing that everytime yesterday, disk or no disk.

So, today, I go to start it up, some more of the no disk messages, then I get a message that Inkscape has had an internal error (programmerese for it had a heart attack and died). and will not run, at all.

I uninstalled it, went to the website, downloaded again, and guess what? Now it does the same thing. So, I even ran my registry cleaner, re uninstalled, ran registry cleaner again to make sure. Re downloaded, reinstalled. . . . .and I am still getting the heart attack message and no inkscape. And yes, I have rebooted about 20 times during all this.

If you know what I could have done to cause this, it would be nice. But if you even know how to send those folks a message, that would be good too! I am not going to complain about all this, cause it is FREE, and my momma told me to NEVER look a gift horse in the mouth. And Mom was always right. Lemme know if you know something about this. Thanks!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones
TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Further Word. . .

Postby TReischl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:13 am

I did an install on one of my other puters, and inkscape is running fine. So there is something definitely screwed on my programming machine. Oh joy, O Joy!
TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Postby js11110 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:00 am

The asking for a disk error has been happening to me for about 2 months now. I've never been able to figure it out. I have to click on "continue" 2 times, and then it opens. I don't want to jinx myself, but inkscape is still running for me. Its just annoying that the error comes up everytime. On the previous version it stopped working for me alltogether. I can't remember if I had the same disk error or not, that was awhile ago and on a entirely different computer but I also tried reinstalling, cleaning the registry to no avail. Really ticked me off. If anyone figures it out, please let us know. Thanks!

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination
js11110
Vectric Wizard

Sheesh

Postby TReischl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:14 am

Thanks JS, at least now I can hold my head up in any programmers tavern. I have been working software for more than 25 years, and this one has me REALLY stumped. Looks like I will be using my other machine for conversions until something new happens.
TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Postby Bob Reda » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:56 pm

Gee, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this is happening to. So far its been running fine

Bob
Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Problem Solved!

Postby TReischl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:56 pm

Thanks JS and Bob for your help. Yup, you helped.

After reading that it was happening to you guys too, I got to thinking, maybe I need a version that was prior to the 'bleeding edge'. When I read the Inkscape pages, it dawned on me that this program is being popped out pretty quickly by what appears to be a team of folks. They are also nice enough to admit that they have instabilities. Sooooooo...... I started looking for a version before 0.44. I found a 0.43 version on www.cnet.com which is also for free.

Installed it, and it runs just perfectly!

Since you guys were saying that you are starting to see the problems I had just prior to the software heart attack, you might want to grab that copy up just in case. I don't know about you guys, but I hate it when I have to start doing all sorts of acrobatics in the middle of a project.

Thanks again![/url]
TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Postby js11110 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:15 am

Thanks for the hot tip! I just downloaded it, and will uninstall .44 and install .43 this weekend. Will let you know if it makes a difference.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination
js11110
Vectric Wizard

Return to VCarve - General