Engraving - Cutting Brass?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Engraving - Cutting Brass?

Postby TReischl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:58 pm

Not sure if I got this in the right forum, but here goes anyway.

I am still investigating what I might be able to do with my machine (I am still impatiently waiting for it to be finished).

Have any of you engraved brass? I am not too interested in pocket milling it, but more of the VCarve classic stuff. Or even just straight forward engraving. I read some stuff on the internet about just dragging a diamond engraving tool on the brass for simple engraving. No spindle rotation even. I am thinking the machine might get a little annoyed trying to push a diamond right into brass with cutting.

Ok, all that said, anyone know where really fine points can be obtained that cut? Like with a 30 degree included angle? Even 45 would be good. I am thinking the depth control of a 60 or 90 is just too fussy. What I mean by that is that the width of the cut changes rapidly with any change in Z depth. The smaller the included angle, the less that happens.

One of the things I have noticed is that guys who use those small engraving machines never really seem to get much definition in materials like brass, it is more like scratched rather than cut deeper. As we all know, doing any of this type of work is all about reflected light and shadows. That is why I would like to see more depth in the cut.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones
TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Postby dighsx » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:38 pm

There's some info and a video on the how-to pages: http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... how_to.htm

It's towards the bottom.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)
dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Thanks, I missed it somehow

Postby TReischl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks for the pointer. Just when I thought I had looked at the WHOLE site. Sheesh.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones
TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Return to VCarve - General