First attempt at carving a model

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

First attempt at carving a model

Post by cusoak »

There is a model in the clip art section of a Fleur DE Lif, That I would like to try my hand at carving
When I load it, it says that the modeling height it .2 of an inch. Is that a pretty good height to start with?
So from there I am lost, and need some help
I want this to be on the lid of a box I want to make the lid 6x6x.75 inches.
So for it to be raised I assume there will need to be some material removed From the top of the board then the carving of the model.
Is any of that correct .
so is there a tutorial video that I could watch to see how something like this is done
And tool paths selected.
Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: First attempt at carving a model

Post by Adrian »

Pretty much any of the 3D tutorials will cover those steps. Model height is all about the effect you're going for, the size of the material and the bits you have available.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Best way to learn the software is to start at the begining \\\7 work your way through the tutorials rather than cherrypick the ones of interest :lol: :lol:
That will give you a much better understanding of the software how it works & what you can & can't do with it. Download the tutorial files & then work alongside the video rather than just watching, its a longer process but will give you a much better understanding when it comes to more advanced projects.
Bit like trying to learn calculus without learning the rules of addition & subtraction :lol: :lol:

Not sure what software you running, desktop or pro so put both links to training material, there is also one on 3D, you will find other 3d tutorials if yoyu use either of the first 2 links.

desktop http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... =1&order=1

pro http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... =1&order=1

3d tutorial http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ideo_id=48

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Just to add if you want the lid thickness to be 0.75" at the edge on the completed project then you will need to start with thicker stock, at least the thickness of the completed model :lol: :lol:

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Ok I watched the videos recommended,
Thanks. So what I took from them was that after you were satisfied with your size, height ,and placement on your material you were ready to set up some tool paths.
Choose the roughing tool path choose a bit. Then go to the finishing tool path and select a bit.
So Is the ball nose bits the right ones to chose. using a.25 dia for the roughing and then using a .125 dia to do the detail. and may be even smaller dia.
I guess that it is not just that easy.
But am I close.
I would like some input if I am close to being right.
Thanks Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

For most 3D jobs it really is that easy. If it's a dish type design you would need to add a zero plane but for a relief model that's not needed.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Not that much more to it really, a lot of people will use a standard flat bottom bit for roughing, it really depends on what sort of roughing strategy & how much material is going to be left for the finishing bit to remove for me. Yes I would say ball nose for finishing, there are people who use engraving bits for small detailed work but I would leave things like that until you have a bit more experience :lol: :lol:
What tool you use for roughing & finishing will be dependant on the model size & the level of detail you would like, you can determine this by using the toolpath preview, try different sized bits & check the results, there is a point where using a smaller bit will not give you any better detail or enough difference for the extra time it takes to machine,it can be a bit of a trade off so its down to you to decide whats most important to you, time or finish quality :lol: :lol:
Finishing pass will generally be with a much smaller stepover than a roughing pass which helps to eliminate things like tool marks & means less sanding. When seting up your toolpaths there are a number of different options for the machining boundary, use the one that best suits your project.
Speed feed & other tool settings will be dependant on your machine & the bits you are using :lol: :lol:

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

And Martin can you give us a hint on how much stock to leave for the single pass Finish pass so he does not have an issue like I had? I had assumed when you picked the Rough tool path bit the software would set depth of cut to leave a very minimal amount but it appears not too, at least on mine.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

When you create the roughing toolpath you can set the amount of material to leave by using the Machining Allowance field. If you set this value too low then you can experience rough finishes even after running the finishing toolpath. If it's too high you can put too much strain on the finishing bit.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

This is great information. Thanks, I think I can do a trial set up now.
I have one other question it is related to the preview screen. I have seen on some videos at the bottom of the preview screen there are 2 little boxes on says show 2d preview and the other says solid with check boxes.
I do not see that on the bottom of the preview screen in My newest version of VCarve Pro.
Should it be there.
Jeff.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

The solid preview box/icon is at the top area of your screen now
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

If you are watching tutorias then generally you are better using the Vectric support site rather than youtube, some of the videos on there are very old & use what are now outdated versions of the software, think most of them on the support site are updated as each new version is released so should be more up to date :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/training-material

It's difficult to say what sort of allowance should be left because it depends on so many different factors, to be honest I wouldn't have thought 0.04 would be to much for your 0.125 ball nose bit, that's a third of the tool diameter, & as a finish pass should really be cut with a small stepover you should be removing next to nothing with each pass :lol: :lol:

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Is the solid preview box called something different now as I don't see it at the top of the preveiw screen

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

if your watching old tutorials then that is where it was, it moved to the top of the screen in v9 I think it was :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

cusoak wrote:Is the solid preview box called something different now as I don't see it at the top of the preveiw screen
This is it. It's an icon now that toggles between the two views rather than a checkbox. As Martin says this is the problem with watching old videos rather than the official support site ones. When I used to belong to a Facebook CNC group it was a continual problem there that people were getting themselves tied in knots watching 10 year old videos.
Capture.JPG