Engraving Acrylic

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jeffhcarter
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Engraving Acrylic

Post by jeffhcarter »

ANybody know a nice bit to engrave in acrylic. Also what speed?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Engraving Acrylic

Post by martin54 »

I generally use D shape or half round engraving bits, anything to do with cutting acrylic takes more effort to get right but mostly what I said in the other post, can't give you settings as what works well with my machine may well be rubbish with yours, its one of those things that you really need to experiment with yourself to get right for your machine & set up :lol: :lol:

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Drag bits are the tool of choice if you want to just scratch the surface [could be mixups in terminology "engrave"]. If you want to dig into the surface a bit more and make some plexi chips, most vbits work well as do purpose designed engraving bits. Tapered ball nose bits can work out well too.

Unless you are specifically doing 3d, you want to avoid going very deep, [especially with vbits] the deeper you go, the more detail you tend to lose. Really depends alot on exactly what you have in mind.

With acrylic you generally want to set feed rate high and RPM's low to minimize friction which can cause melting issues, but may not be a factor if you are just etching, and 0 factor if you are using a drag bit [which do not rotate and hence cause no friction]. So as you can see, there are a number of variables to consider, all depending on the type of work you want to create and the tool you use. In all cases [except once again, drag bits], you'll need a good sharp tool for optimum results.
Doug

Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Post by Stephen50 »

I source you may desire to contact is Ornsrud cnc bits, I've had good luck requesting specific information regarding bits plus other information related to the material I'm cutting just an idea.