Stacked Text Tutorial

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
johntech
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts

Stacked Text Tutorial

Post by johntech »

I just walked through the stacked text template tutorial and was wondering how you would add in 3D graphics near the bottom of the sign.
On what layer would you add the graphics? Would you set the TOP / BOTTOM cut depths the same as the bottom text?

Still learning

Thank you

John

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Stacked Text Tutorial

Post by FixitMike »

I would construct a border vector around your 3D model. Include that vector with the top and bottom texts as you build your toolpaths, which will leave an "island" for carving the 3D model.

Use the Model Boundary option for the Machining Limit Boundary for the Rough and Finishing Machining 3D toolpaths, or use a slightly offset outward vector for the boundary.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

johntech
Vectric Apprentice

Post by johntech »

FixitMike wrote:I would construct a border vector around your 3D model. Include that vector with the top and bottom texts as you build your toolpaths, which will leave an "island" for carving the 3D model.

Use the Model Boundary option for the Machining Limit Boundary for the Rough and Finishing Machining 3D toolpaths, or use a slightly offset outward vector for the boundary.
Hi Mike
I'm trying to understand what you are telling me. I have a layer called Graphics where I have the 2 clipart pictures located where I want them to appear.
I also have Top Text and Bottom Text layers for the first names and last names corrected, welded and joined. I have tried to select both clipart images
and use the Boundry Create button but it keeps telling me there are no vectors selected.

Could you offer a quick tutorial or point me to video on how I can do this? I have seen this done with Aspire but I only have VCarve Pro 9.0.

Thank you for any help

John Frankforther

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

More information about what you're trying to do would be helpful. Pictures are always helpful.
Image 206.png
John
Maker of Chips

johntech
Vectric Apprentice

Post by johntech »

highpockets wrote:More information about what you're trying to do would be helpful. Pictures are always helpful.
The attachment Image 206.png is no longer available
Here are the screenshots of what I'm trying to accomplish. The hearts in the red circles are what I'm trying to place on the sign.
I would like them to be raised up from the bottom of the bottom text by 0.1" to 0.15".
The depth of the top text is 0.1" and the depth of the bottom text is 0.2" .

I was just playing around and got the hearts placed on the bottom text layer but when the program was run it cut off half the heart.
So I need to figure out how to place them so they turn out correctly. I guess that is where I need to make the raised area to place them.

Plotts Sign.png

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Create "vector boundary" around the two heart components like Mike suggested. Make sure it's selected along with the other boundary vectors when machining the top and bottom text layers. This will leave you section of unmachined material. Set the Model position in Material to .05 Gap from the top of material. Set a Finish Toolpath for the two hearts using the vector boundary around the hearts. Under Machining Limit Boundary select "Selected vector(s)"
John
Maker of Chips

johntech
Vectric Apprentice

Post by johntech »

highpockets wrote:Create "vector boundary" around the two heart components like Mike suggested. Make sure it's selected along with the other boundary vectors when machining the top and bottom text layers. This will leave you section of unmachined material. Set the Model position in Material to .05 Gap from the top of material. Set a Finish Toolpath for the two hearts using the vector boundary around the hearts. Under Machining Limit Boundary select "Selected vector(s)"
That's what I didn't understand, the "vector boundary". Do you mean draw a rectangle around each of them? If I try to use the Vector boundary button it says I don't have any vectors selected even though I have them selected.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Use the "Create vector boundary around selected components" tool on the Modeling tab. Make sure you have the two heart components selected first. Technically you could just draw a square, circle or any other closed vector around the components, but why not use the correct tool for the job....
John
Maker of Chips

johntech
Vectric Apprentice

Post by johntech »

highpockets wrote:Use the "Create vector boundary around selected components" tool on the Modeling tab. Make sure you have the two heart components selected first. Technically you could just draw a square, circle or any other closed vector around the components, but why not use the correct tool for the job....
OK Sorry I was trying to use the wrong one. There is one on the Drawing tab and one on the Modeling tab. So now I have the correct one selected and it mills correctly until it actually mills out the hearts. So I must have something set wrong in the setup for the 3D toolpath because it cuts down into the material instead of raised.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

On the toolpath tab, Material Setup, Model Position in Material, set Gap above material to .05
John
Maker of Chips

johntech
Vectric Apprentice

Post by johntech »

Ok, I'm REAL close to what I want. I'm seeing what you guys are saying now that I have clicked on the correct button. I have included the file for you to look at as I'm still milling down into the raised material and leaving a ridge around the outside the hearts. Could you look at the file and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you

John Frankforther
Attachments
Plotts Finish.zip
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 151 times

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Is this the look your'r going for?
Image 207.png
John
Maker of Chips

johntech
Vectric Apprentice

Post by johntech »

highpockets wrote:Is this the look your'r going for?
Image 207.png
Yes, it is!! What did I do wrong? I would rather you show or tell me what I did wrong than fix the file and send back.

Thank you!!

John Frankforther

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

OK, with out starting over here's how I fixed the hearts.
Check only the top component.
Check only the top component.
In the component properties change the height to .15 (.2 bottom - .05 top gap)
In the component properties change the height to .15 (.2 bottom - .05 top gap)
Change model position to .05<br />When you click OK VCP is going to want to recalculate all toolpaths, click Yes
Change model position to .05
When you click OK VCP is going to want to recalculate all toolpaths, click Yes
Because of the beveled edges of the layers you need a boundary offset. I used .2
Because of the beveled edges of the layers you need a boundary offset. I used .2
Done
Done
John
Maker of Chips

johntech
Vectric Apprentice

Post by johntech »

Highpockets !!!

If I was there I'd buy you a steak dinner !!! I can't thank you enough. I have been fighting with this for about a week and a half.
Just a few changes in the RIGHT places made all the difference.

Many thanks again.

John Frankforther