Stuck need 2 stl's

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Stuck need 2 stl's

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I am working on another Coat of Arms . On this one 2 of the elements I cannot find in CRV format
There a very few COA elements by Vectric or Design and Make. The last one I did had all Vectric
elements. Now I need to use 2 stl files. You can only import 1. So what do I do.

What is the reason for the limited import why only 1. I see no reason for it. Vectric does not have
that many models that I can find. I also find it strange that people that own the premium Aspire
cannot export and sell Vcarve compatible files. They can only sell stl files. So I am stuck.
Is there a work around to use more then 1 import type. In the picture I need the Lion and the Tree.
I have stl for the lion and the tree. In the rendering you see the lion as a vcarve.
Attachments
murphy_wexford.jpg
Wexford.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Stuck need 2 stl's

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Don,

With all due respect, the ability to import more than one STL is one of the natural differences between VCarve and Aspire - frankly, I think it's extremely fortunate we can use any 3D component in VCarve at all!

Aspire is the top of the line product with top of the line features. VCarve is a very powerful and wonderful program for anyone who does not require the features of Aspire.

Of course, if the time comes when you DO need expanded 3D features, then the time has come to upgrade to Aspire. I think that's what most folks would expect and agree with.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Combining two STL files into one can be done via a free product from a certain large and long-time maker of CAD software.

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

mtylerfl wrote:Hi Don,

With all due respect, the ability to import more than one STL is one of the natural differences between VCarve and Aspire - frankly, I think it's extremely fortunate we can use any 3D component in VCarve at all!

Aspire is the top of the line product with top of the line features. VCarve is a very powerful and wonderful program for anyone who does not require the features of Aspire.

Of course, if the time comes when you DO need expanded 3D features, then the time has come to upgrade to Aspire. I think that's what most folks would expect and agree with.

I understand that Aspire is the flagship program. I do not see how allowing maybe 3 imports would affect Aspire. Ugrading is not an option as I make no money at this . I am on SS and retired. I still do not understand why Aspire users cannot make a model that they could sell in a format that works with Vcarve.

adze_cnc wrote:Combining the two STL files into one can be done via a free product from a certain large and long-time maker of CAD software.
Good point. I did not think about doing that.

Don

Oldmanofgf
Model of CNC Machine: Probiotix meteor 26x50

Post by Oldmanofgf »

Before I updated toAspire I need to carve two stl models on one project what I did was add the first stl and tool pathed it and then caved it.With not turning off the machine or moving anything I then went back to Vcave pro deleted the first model then add the second and the rest of the design and tool pathed this and then carved. It worked but I only did it once maybe I was lucky. The big problem with this is you can,t preview or make the model merge, add or subtract from the other stl model in my case they were on different parts of the project.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I still do not understand why Aspire users cannot make a model that they could sell in a format that works with Vcarve. [/color]
They can. They can save a model in STL format which works in VCarve.

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

Adrian wrote:
I still do not understand why Aspire users cannot make a model that they could sell in a format that works with Vcarve. [/color]
They can. They can save a model in STL format which works in VCarve.
Yes I know they can make stl but can they make models that come in in a native
format no.I am not knocking Vectric. It was just a question to see why. I think Vectric is a great
company. They have fine people. The training the best I have seen. Almost every question
asked by people in this forum there is a reference to a video that explains it. FANTASTIC

Don

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It's not quite that simple Don, Aspire & Vcarve use different file formats & if Aspire were able to export a model in a native Vcarve format then it would only be any good to people using vcarve. If I were making & selling 3D models I would want to be able to save them in a format that users of any 3D software could buy from me, being able to export as an STL file allows people to do that.

Frustrating for people like you I understand but why don't you make any money from what you do ? Being retired shouldn't stop you from making some money doing this sort of thing I wouldn't have thought, certainly wouldn't in the UK but don't know how your system works. Why shouldn't people you are doing this for pay you something for your time & efforts :lol: :lol:

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

I just don't think what I do is that good. I did at one time think about selling.

I did solve my problem about the 2 stl files.
It is now one. Here is a picture. It shows about 10 hours to cut.

Thank you all for the input.

Don
Attachments
Wexford 001.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Don, don't sell yourself short your works looks good to me...
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As John says don't sell yourself short, you might not think what you do is that good but what do others think? If the people that you are doing the work for are happy with it then that is really all that matters. There is some amazing talent on this forum, don't go trying to compare yourself with them at your stage, that's possibly something for you to aim for in the future :lol: I look at some of the gallery posts for inspiration & tell myself that although I may have a long way to go if I work hard at it I am going to get better :lol:
You may not be able to charge top dollar just now but that doesn't mean you should be working for free :lol: :lol: Work out a price that you think is fair to both yourself & your customer, if they think you are to expensive then you can discuss it further with them & adjust your price if you want to or simply don't do the job at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

Not making money is a prerequisite of being retired. I make and sell some signs as a retiree, but unless I want to unretire, I will never make enough signs to pay for my machine and software. It's just fun.
Mark
Pioneer, CA

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

This is not as convenient as loading multiple STL files, but it works ... It was written before VCP could do STL files.

You can toolpath the STL externally using the "STL & Image to CSV Converter" program. This makes a CSV toolpath file containing the X-Y-Z commands. You have to tell it what kind of cutter you plan to use, and the program will generate roughing paths if needed.
Import the toolpath using the CSV gadget. You can place it on your project and scale/shift it at this point.

Upside is that it works, even in VCP, and manual shows some ideas for tricks. Downside is that if you want to change the cutting parameters you have to rerun the toolpath generation and re-import the CSV file.

These two ripple patterns were loaded independently. You can tell the gadget where the toolpaths should land using 2D vectors on the project.
multi CSV.png
Attachments
STL Converter Manual.pdf
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
TreeSoft CSV.pdf
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com