Rabbet First Pass Offset

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Rabbet First Pass Offset

Post by WaltS »

Not sure if this is software or hardware related, so I'll start here. I cut a rabbet on a spoilboard. The spoilboard is 24-1/4" x 18-1/4". I made a file with a 24" x 18" rectangle, used a 1/4" end mill, and had it set to cut Outside. I used a spiral ramp, NO offsets, and that's about it. The file calculated 4 passes. On the first pass, ONLY the first pass and ONLY on the front edge of the board, the cut was offset inwards (towards the center of the board) by about 0.04" . The remainder of the first pass around the other 3 sides was correct, as well as the remaining passes, including the ones on the front edge. ONLY the first pass on the front edge of the board was offset. The board was not loose, 0,0 was correct, not sure where else to look. Confused. File and photo attached. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
24x18-rabbit-for-24.25x18.25-SB-MDF.crv
(40 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Img_4713.jpg
Last edited by WaltS on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Re: Rabbet First Pass Offset

Post by tomgardiner »

My first guess without looking at the file is that you have a vector hidden in there under the rectangle and it is cutting on the wrong side. Select your vector by sweeping right to left with window and check the number lower right of the screen "S:" see if there is more than one vector.

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thank you. When I sweep right to left to select I get the rectangle vector, nothing else. I also don't have an S: in the bottom corner, only the usual X, Y, W, H, and L. The file is not complicated, 1 layer with a rectangle on it. :/

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Walt,

I doubt it is the culprit, but the way you defined your project is not logical.

Your job size is not 24x18, but obviously 24 1/4 x 18 1/4, the size of your spoilboard.

Unless you need a workaround for a special case, it's far better when your project matches the physical reality.

With the right job dimension, you will see the 3D path (which is not the case in your file) and you will be able to preview the toolpath. As Aspire has a very good simulation feature, it helps troubleshooting.

Resize your job to the actual size, center your rectangle, recalculate the toolpath and preview it. The preview is OK. So, if your output code is OK too (should be very simple to check), the problem is on the machine side.

Hope this helps.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

BTW, when your files opens, Aspire displays the tiling manager.

As I never use it, I can't put you on the track if the issue is related to this feature.

Sorry: the 3D toolpath displays fine in your file, I probably had a display glitch.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

LGM, thank you for your advice. It would have made more sense to make the job the actual size of the board. I realized that later. Still learning.

I haven't figured why the Tiling manager is opening. I have never used it. I did finally find the tile toolpaths box checked in the save toolpaths window, but I have never turned that on. I never had a reason to. This is the only file that's it's ever happened with. However, I did UNcheck it before I saved the toolpath and that is the toolpath I ran. I guess I just never resaved the entire file after I unchecked it. So, tiling was not turned on when I saved the toolpath, at least from what I saw. There was no T1 prepended to the toolpath name after it saved, anyway.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

WaltS wrote:I haven't figured why the Tiling manager is opening.
When I open the file I also get the Tiling Manager. To get rid of it I did the following:

- click Delete tiling data
- click Hide tiling manager
- save the file

Now it opens just fine.

Steven