Work in Progress, Welcome Sign

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Work in Progress, Welcome Sign

Post by tamathumper »

Here's my first Cut2D sign. Still needs a lot of polish, but basically all of the machining is done. Sculpting the 3D cat in color with a 2D CAM program was the hardest part... :D
Attachments
Intel CS630 023.jpg
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

tauscnc

Re: Work in Progress, Welcome Sign

Post by tauscnc »

You did a Fine Job!!! on the cat!

taus

ps. good work!

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Very cool..

What about them there gears in the background, did you make them too?
What are they for?

Post more and the finished sign!

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Thank you all.

GT, yes the gears are part of the Brian Law Clock #1, one of Brian's free wooden clock plans, which is available in DXF file format. I imported almost all of the parts into Cut2D.

I'm building it out of a walnut frame, maple gears, and lacewood accents with brass rods and sleeves. It's a bit of a back-burner project now that I'm working on the Joe's Hybrid 4X4 CNC machine, although the little RockCliff does OK cutting out the parts while I'm working on the other side of the workshop.

I just keep a nervous ear out for a change in pitch because with 1/4"-20 all-thread lead screws and my homemade nylon lead nuts it can lose steps if I crank it up to the crazy speed of oh, say 20 ipm :D Hence my build of the Joe's Hybrid 4X4.

The clock is much further along now than the pictures indicate, I guess I'll have to get some updated ones to show. I've been working on a big gutted APC UPS as the controller unit for the new CNC, and now that it's finished I can get back to the woodworking a little bit.
Attachments
file.jpg
file1.jpg
file2.jpg
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

SWEET clock!
One of them is my to do list!

I want to see it when it is finished.

Do you have a link to the plans, I probably could go on google and do search..

Thanks for sharing...

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Yep, I found the website!

Thanks again for the info..

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

The cat.... it's so......life like, amazing from a 2d program. You are a master :lol:

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Last night the cat was almost dead-like. :shock: I heard a coyote yip behind the barn and grabbed my coat figuring Squirt was about to be renamed 'Fox Bait'. When I got out behind the barn the cat was 20 feet up a tree already and the coyote was running across the stream from hearing me coming.

I had to get an extension ladder and extend it out over the cliff to the tree to reach him. He was pretty grateful. :)

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Did you use the hexpod thred to help you animate the cat? I had two coyotes chase a deer through our fild this fall. Glad to hear you saved your kitty!!

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

I did follow the HexaPod directions, but when I strap the router to his head he gets really ticked :O

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Finished the sign machining for the "field" - now just a little more sanding and handwork to get the planer marks and some of the endmill marks out before I put a coat of oil to it.
Attachments
DSCN4383.JPG